News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Saved again!!!!

Started by Ultra-Vintage, January 22, 2012, 08:13:24 PM

Ultra-Vintage

Here is one of my more recent purchase.  It came up as a quick low-priced buy-it-now, and I bid fast without really paying attention to the pictures of the watch (other than I already knew it was missing hands).  Then I get the watch.  My first question was, wow, that dial looks too perfect with excellent aged luminous and all.  And.....did they have the word "Calendar" in cursive above the moonphase window?  I am so used to seeing these with nasty redials, and they usually are not like the originals, they move words, add words, and in the end just make a mess of them.

My first instinct was to ask Butch, he will know.  Butch was very helpful, as he was quick to point out that my subscription to www.zodiaccatalogs.com would provide me with all of the answers that I would need.  DUH, why didnt I think of that in the first place.  I went to the site, and there in the 1961 catalog was my exact watch.  From the catalog; this model was the "Leonard", the dial was correct and as original, and I also was able to see what the correct hands were that I needed to find for it.  For a collector, it doesnt get any better than that.  The site is a pretty amazing collection of catalogs and original company materials, where else could I have gotten all of that information but there?  Definitely worth the small subscription price.

Here are a few pics of the watch.  The original dial is amazing, and the case is excellent as well (beneath all of that dirt and crud).  Now that I knew the correct hand style, I have located a NOS set and after a service and light detail this one should be an excellent example for my collection.  I will try to post pics once it is done  :)

jon p

:ur   great find, beautiful dial!! what does the movement look like, good shape? how does a watch get THAT NASTY!? cant wait to see it restored.

zaniac

Great find and thanks for the photos 8)
I have a stainless version like yours and a gold plated one. The stainless one I got from the original owner in the boxes and he said he never had the watch worked on or anything replaced, even the band. Maybe that's why it's only accurate twice a day! But if you need to see any close up photos that are not in the catalogs, let me know and I'd be happy to snap whatever you need.
These models are my favorite of the moonphase watches. They're automatic and I just like this dial layout better than the version with the outer day scale moved inside.
Looking forward to seeing it when it's done.
Chris

silverarrow

That thing is sweet...I'm lovin the dial. I'll bet you can't wait to get that one back. Nice find, thanks for sharing.

ChrisG

Simply awesome. Good for you my friend.

Ultra-Vintage

jmh86325

You have the wrong strap...i take a XL

pls send asap!  :woohoo;

conrgrats...great work...you must know BWG  :wehe

Ultra-Vintage

I am happy the way that this one turned out.  As you can tell by the before pics it needed all 4 correct hands, along with casework and a service.  The correct hands for this model were located, and the lume was color matched to the original aged lume for the dial.  I know the color looks different in the pics, but the lume was slightly charged at the time the pics were taken and hard to photograph, but it matches the dial extremely well. 

The case did have some wear, and some slight pitting on the caseback, but it was refinished to the original-type finish as factory with polished lug tops and bezel, brushed case sides, and polished caseback with brushed center.

As you can tell by the pictures, a vintage glass high dome crystal was fitted instead of the acrylic.  This was very difficult due to the hand fitment, but it gives it an impressive profile.

The automatic movement was fully serviced and runs extremely well, with accuracy within +/- 1 second a day. 

A black handmade Louisiana Alligator band was chosen for it, and it has a vintage 1950s/1960s Swiss steel buckle on it.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: jmh86325 on October 08, 2013, 12:16:25 PM
You have the wrong strap...i take a XL

pls send asap!  :woohoo;

conrgrats...great work...you must know BWG  :wehe

I take an XL as well, but it does fit me perfectly on the last hole  :D

This may be one of the watches that I will be buried with, since I have wanted one ever since I began collecting.  I am running out of room though, so far my trip to the hereafter will include the whole length of both arms covered with watches and atleast one leg!  :o

Butch

Hmmmm, let's see here. Entered on January 22, 2012.... Restoration finished and pictures posted on October 8, 2013.

Have you ever considered the wonderful world of collecting Hummels?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Butch on October 08, 2013, 02:12:23 PM
Hmmmm, let's see here. Entered on January 22, 2012.... Restoration finished and pictures posted on October 8, 2013.

LOL  :laugh:

That or Beanie Babies either one would be quicker, cheaper and more pain free......... :lolz;

jmh86325

Quote from: Ultra-Vintage on October 08, 2013, 02:50:31 PM

That or Beanie Babies either one would be quicker, cheaper and more pain free......... :lolz;

Thats true but neither would look as good on your wrist  8)

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: jmh86325 on October 09, 2013, 07:37:46 AM
Quote from: Ultra-Vintage on October 08, 2013, 02:50:31 PM

Thats true but neither would look as good on your wrist  8)

I am not so sure.......I have been rockin' one of these on my right wrist while I wear the 3DMP on my left.......... ;)

Butch

So, as you know the rules here about pictures, we have to presume you actually bought this and wear it. I am sure it looks very good on you too.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Butch on October 10, 2013, 10:27:21 AM
So, as you know the rules here about pictures, we have to presume you actually bought this and wear it. I am sure it looks very good on you too.

You bet it does!   .......(while admiring how nice it looks on my wrist)  :cool;

pknopp

Very nice......same face as mine outside of mine not having "Calendar" on it. It's hard to find them with the nice blue on the moonphase part. So many are faded out.

Having 7-8 watches (couple that still need a service) I wear my moonphase far more often than any other one. I have it on now.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign