News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

before and afters of my 1970 orange Sea Wolf

Started by rhsnyc, February 15, 2012, 08:44:09 PM

rhsnyc

Hey Guys,
Here are some pics of the recent work I had done by Ron Gordon in NYC. My Dads 1970 orange Sea Wolf was sitting for almost 30 years in my drawer. The 72b movement was rusty and the dial was badly faded as seen in the before photo. When I initially brought the watch to be repaired months ago the estimate for bringing this bad boy back to its original self was bit much. I ended up not having the work done. In love with the watch felt I needed to learn more about it and see what if anything could be done for it.
So I ended up at this site. Needless to say with all the helpful people on here and a little patience I was able to source most of what my watch needed went back to watch maker with it all and saved some $$$$$. I think he did a great job. So far watch has been keeping accurate time running smoothly and I think came out great.
Thanks!

Butch

Really nice restore man! Thank you very much for sharing it with us.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

rhsnyc

Thanks Butch.

rhsnyc

I took the movement ( 72b) from a like new nearly mint Goldenline that I found online for cheap. I then found what I believe to be a nos dial online as well also for cheap. Looks incredible in person. The only issue I had was the date wheels seemed slightly different from the goldenline to my seawolf (seems like the seawolfs has a slight curve to it and golden line doesnt?) anyway I was able to take apart some of the rusted movement and salvage my original date wheel. Again saving me time and money hunting for one. Although Butch did mention he could hook it up if need be. Again thanks for that offer. :ur
I Cleaned it up and it was like new. Ron provided new stem and Crown as well as new crystal. Decided to keep the old hands. Besides dont see too many floating around?

jon p

:wehe :ur   WOW-another zodiac brought back from the grave!!VERY NICE! this has always been one of my favorite models, i think the orange really makes it POP and will attract a lot of attention.

rhsnyc

Thanks Jon P!
It was well worth the effort$ and agreed it definitely jumps out for sure. My photos just dont do it justice. Sad thing now is I am almost afraid to wear it for fear of scratching it etc. Some lady scraped up against my arm on a very crowded NYC subway this morning brushing against it. I actually got tad bit worried . Hahaha.
Just like enjoying a great vintage car or bottle of wine it may just be best saved for the weekends.  8)
For now at least anyway. Ultimately meant to be worn and enjoyed for sure.
"If you want to have a good time......You have to have a good watch."

Sea Wolf

Great looking Sea Wolf.  I just had my orange face dial replaced with what looks to be new like yours.
Huge difference it makes.  My band is different than yours but that is how I bought it so I am keeping it on.

It's a kreisler band with zodiac clasp.

webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Butch

You guys with your bands are too funny! This model only appears in the 1971 catalog and it is shown with the Swiss made divers stretch band from the early 1960's. (A very uncomfortable band!)

I am beginning to feel like UV, gimme the watch, keep the band, I'd rather buy another watch!

:o Blasphemy, I know. Call out the Inquisition.

Sea Wolf

This kinda looks like my band  :who

From the 1971 small catalog  :wehe
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Butch

Thanks! I often forget to check that one.

To me, that band does not look like either of yours though. Tough to tell from the pic, but the center links seem different and not as offset as SW's. If I squint and look at it sideways, MAYBE? I dunno, what do the rest of you think? Does the 71 pictured band look like Sea Wolf's band? Or is there subtle differences? Or should I put my glasses on?

Again, the jeweler would do anything to make a sale and who knows what Trauner would have done if a band was out of stock and he needed to ship watches to pay the rent on 6th Ave.

;)

Sea Wolf

webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

zaniac

The band in the smaller 71 catalog looks like it has polished center row links. But check out the normal black Sea Wolf right to the right of the orange Sea Wolf in the large 71 catalog. That band looks just like the one on Sea Wolf's orange.
Chris

rhsnyc

What is this you guys and your bands?  ;)
If I am not mistaken mine has the correct period jb champion band no?

rhsnyc

Thanks Sea Wolf! Yours looks pretty great as well. I dont mind that band at all. Love your zodiac deep sea diver statue btw.

Butch

rhsnyc

Much appreciated. One other question I have been wondering is does the font style used for the word "automatic" on dial of  this particular model watch help date it? one is script and the other more block letter. Is there a difference if any between the two variations? 

Butch

No clue man. I have seen them both over the years. The ones in the catalogs show it as script though. Who knows what they did over the years. On the site it is only in the two 71 catalogs and not the others.

Sea Wolf

My orange came with the script dial Automatic.  The replacement dial I have on it now is all uppercase AUTOMATIC like yours.

Maybe the newer orange dials were in all uppercase?
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

rhsnyc

Hi,
Strange because my original dial is in the uppercase not the script (see before shot)  and I know for certain was bought in 1970 at the PX at MCB Quantico as I recently was able to confirm this from the original owner who is still good friends with my Dad.  So wondering.. if script was used earlier on this exact model how much earlier if possible? Who knows? Will try to see if I can find anything.
Thanks.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign