News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac Kreisler Stelux Bands

Started by Butch, May 03, 2012, 12:48:36 PM

Butch

In the past there have been quite a few discussions here around whether these bands were original to Zodiacs. In the 50's Zodiac was using Kreisler. Then in the 60's and early 70's it seemed to be mostly JB Champion bands. Well, with this new acquisition I would have to agree that sometime in the 70's anyway Zodiac was using the Kreisler Stelux bands with their new longer clasps.

Here is an orange and black Sea Wolf with one of these bands on it. The only documentation I have on this model is in the 1971 catalogs, it does not appear in any others that I have. For the moment let's forget about the deficiencies of this specimen and just look at the band and condition of the watch itself.

The watch appears to have been put away for quite some time. It appears to have never been polished and it still has the original crown on it (not simply a signed crown, they are different). On the back you can still see the brushed finish in the center. All markings on the back are very crisp too. There is virtually no edge wear on the bezel. Even the acrylic is in excellent condition. Now look how the band ends fit so well to the case. I am thinking this thing has never even been serviced. All of these observations leads me to believe this watch was worn for a short period of time and then put away, for whatever reason. With that said, and all of the above observations, it would seem to me that the owner would have never needed to replace the band so I think it is original to this watch.

I do now believe that Zodiac was indeed using the Kreisler Stelux bands on some models with the newer longer clasp, (NOT the older smaller clasp). But at this time I still do not believe that any Kreisler band that is stamped HONG KONG was used by Zodiac.

Once this is serviced by my watchmaker I will follow up and let you guys know if it indeed has never been serviced before, along with any observations the watchmaker offers up.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Sea Wolf

That is a nice one for sure!  Finally, the Kreisler bands non Hong Kong may be original.
I have an orange with Kriesler band and the end pieces fit perfect.

Nice catch on that orange SW.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Butch

Thanks SW. It will be once it is serviced.

dmh

Quote from: Butch on May 03, 2012, 12:48:36 PM
But at this time I still do not believe that any Kreisler band that is stamped HONG KONG was used by Zodiac.

Earlier this year I bought a large box of Zodiac parts that came from a closed Zodiac Service Center. Most of the parts were for 1970's watches. In the box were quite a few bands like this one.

The clasp is the shorter one, same length as the JB Champion band.
If they were never used by Zodiac, why were they in a Zodiac Service Center?
Best,
dmh

Butch

Sorry, no clue. There was a box of clasps at the service center, they ran out of bands, and then they found these Drema's fit the clasps? Or maybe Zodiac actually used them? WTF knows? Not sure I have ever even heard of a Drema band before now to be honest with you. (That and $1.19 will get you a cup of coffee!) If you want to send me one I have a bag full of end pieces from Zodiac I will see if any fit it.

Guys, these are merely my opinions and I stick to them until I personally find proof to make them no longer correct. I believe the method I have used on this particular watch to be as good as finding a NOS model in the box with all the tags and paperwork. I am happy to correct myself, or change my beliefs when I can disprove them.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: dmh on May 03, 2012, 02:49:32 PM
Quote from: Butch on May 03, 2012, 12:48:36 PM
But at this time I still do not believe that any Kreisler band that is stamped HONG KONG was used by Zodiac.

Earlier this year I bought a large box of Zodiac parts that came from a closed Zodiac Service Center. Most of the parts were for 1970's watches. In the box were quite a few bands like this one.

The clasp is the shorter one, same length as the JB Champion band.
If they were never used by Zodiac, why were they in a Zodiac Service Center?
Best,
dmh

I wondered where those were coming from!  :)

smithrjd

I wonder who might have made my Seawolf band. It is the original that came on the watch, with the Zodiac symbol on the clasp. No makers name, just Zodiac USA. It is the strecth SS oyster style.

Butch

The stretch bands were made by machines and normally said Swiss. As it is stamped Zodiac is was made for them under contract.

zaniac

Great info and even better watch, Butch. Thanks for sharing. I'll be anxious to see it when it comes back from BWG.
Speaking of him, he had this band on last month. As the photos show, it is a Kreisler and a Made in Hong Kong variant. I personally have seen more of those than the non-marked Made in HK examples. ebay: 280857669163
As far as Drema, I've seen two Zodiacs with a Drema band. One being the GMT chrono that was formally yours ;)
I've also seen two bands with the Zodiac clasp and signed Baldwin. Actually, I believe I still have one of those bands and the clasp matches the rest of the band as far as polish/unpolish, wear, etc.
It's fun learning more about Zodiac.
Chris

Butch

Returning to the bands discussion... Check out auction 251100182023. It is a 1970's Zodiac SST Astrographic w/RC logo (Royal Crown Cola, for the younger crowd here). Based on the movement picture I think this is another watch that was put away and not worn much. Due to that, and the box, I say this is all original.

Having said all that, this watch has a Kreisler Stelux band on it.

waleeedijaz

Guys, these are merely my opinions and I stick to them until I personally find proof to make them no longer correct. I believe the method I have used on this particular watch to be as good as finding a NOS model in the box with all the tags and paperwork. I am happy to correct myself, or change my beliefs when I can disprove them.
== Solitaire ==

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign