News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Bought an Aerospace GMT

Started by smithrjd, May 24, 2012, 08:38:04 PM

smithrjd

Well I went and got an Aerospace. To me it looks like an early one, smaller metal bezel, rear case is not marked "Aerospace" however. Hope that is OK. No quick set date, or it's not functioning. Watch is running but will need service. Serial number between the lugs. Hands look black in the picture but are actually silver. Look original to teh members?   

Cobber

Nice, dial looks prestine or at least evenly patina-ed.
The hands are interesting.  I didn't realize they used this style on the gmt.  I'm used to seeing GMTs with the block hands.  These are similar or exactly the same as the 12 hour and minute hands on the 24hr Jet models.  In the case of the Jet variants they used black hands on silver dials and steel hands on the black dials.  I would be interested to know if anyone thinks these were swapped in at some point. 

Nice catch

smithrjd

Supposed to be orignal sans band or course. Wanted a sliver dialed one to match my Sea Wolf. I have seen many different bezels on this type. Black on top like mine, all sliver with black lettering on bottom white on top, brass etc. Not sure what is original. I am willing to bet BWG will know and set it right. He sure did a great job on my Sea Wolf.

Cobber

LOL.  I just reread my post and realized I screwed up by describing the 24 hour hand as a twelve hour hand on the Jet.  Hopefully you were able to make sense of my gibberish.
Also, I was looking at your pictures again and have to say I really like this style hand set vs. the block ones.  Particularly the 24hr arrow

smithrjd

Well the lume is pretty much gone on all hands. The minute and hour hands are very thin with a small center lume. LOcal find $150. The dial is really good however. Looked at a few watch sites and it looks like the early one had the case back as mine. Don't know id serial num,bers can be tracked, But this one starts with a 1 or l 6949**

jon p

:wehe :ur   GREAT FIND at a very good price!! silver dials are not seen much, i like the look. this is an early model with skinny hands and ARROW TIP 24 hr hand. i have the black dial model. it IS correct, but i am not sure about the markings on the back.  mine is with BWG right now so i cant look at the back. maybe some of the expeienced zodiac guys can answer this one! your dial is in beautiful condition. bezel is correct with 2 tone, usually the paint is worn off or polished off, it was not very durable. maybe BWG can restore the  bezel, he can work wonders!! this watch is worth restoration cost for sure! be sure to have the bezel tightened, they are bad about getting real loose and CAN fall off. very hard to find a replacement! again , great find at a great low price.

smithrjd

I did see one other Aerospace GMT with the same back and hands, but it was a black dial. I guess that this model does not have the quick set date. I read that one can change the day by rocking the hands from 12 back to 9, does this sound right? It will be going off to BWG soon. After how well my Sea Wolf came back I would not send a watch especially a Zodiac any where else.

Butch

Very nice catch. One of my personal favorites.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

push to quick set date did not come along til i believe early 1970s, someone correct me if i am wrong. yes, this one sets by going between 12 and 9.

smithrjd

One of my other hobbies (way too many for the boss..) is things that go bang. I was considering using a cold blue/black for the upper part of the bezel, it would be much more perminant than paint. Would be a bit of a pain, as I would have to have the bezel to work on it and then give it BWG to replace. Right now it is very firmly affixed and does not rotate.

smithrjd

Spent 20 years in the Navy, and still work for the Government. Wind up still going camping... on occasion mostley to places thet end in "stan".. so ZULU is still relavent. Nice to find a watch specifically suited to military time. Perhaps why I like Zodiacs. They were tailered to the military. A good decent watch that did not break the bank and could be counted upon to tell time. Hacking function very nice as well.   

smithrjd

I did notice one thing that seems odd to me. The dial is marked "T Swiss Made T" I can only see lume on the hands and not the dial. Thought that T swiss T meant lume on both dial and hands.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign