News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

zodiac astrographic sst in need of parts..(now running great and keeping time)

Started by Dutchsiberia, July 13, 2012, 01:54:10 PM

Dutchsiberia

I got my grubby hands on a cheap astrographic sst  ;D
It appears it "only" needs  new spring and barrel, and a winding stem.  You guys/gals got anything "laying around"? I'll post pics of the guts soon  :-)
It's a beautiful blue dialed square model.

Allright, here are the seller's pics, I have to show sómething  :P

Butch

I cannot tell from the pictures but the rotor has been replaced with a non-zodiac part. You might want to verify the rest of the movement.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Dutchsiberia

Yeah, I was missing the inscriptions on the rotor :(
It should look like this
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Zodiac_78

Maybe the rotor got changed for an AS one?

The barrel has some stripped teeth and the spring is broken, the winding stem is also broken

The rest of the movement appears to be fine, after carefully moving a gear the balance starts ticking very fast, as a high beat movement should do  :)

Butch

You will probably have to buy another caliber 88 or 86 movement (in another SST watch) to get your parts.

Dutchsiberia

Butch

Good luck with that Pal. That is why I said what I said. But you would become a demigod if you found someplace with Zodiac parts and shared it with the forum.

Dutchsiberia

Well, I still have to receive the parts, but if everything works out, I'll let you know the source and where to build my temple  ;)

Dutchsiberia

We got 'em  8)
I haven't repaired the watch yet, had a very busy work day, and I'm tired, not the best moment to work on watches, but here's a quick pic. The stem and the barrel seem to fit perfectly, but I'll wait with the celebrations until I have a ticking Zodiac of course :)

Butch

Can't see the picture, but you bought a new sealed barrel mainspring?

Dutchsiberia

The same kind of barrel like the old one, but in gold color, a new mainspring to be fitted in the barrel (very simple) and a new stem (has to be shortened)

So I "only" have to pop in the spring, close the lid of the barrel correct the length of the winding stem, cleaning, lubing and I'm done :)
(If nothing scary happens)

It might not be to the high standards of a real watchmaker, but the goal is to end with a nice running, wearable watch :)

maybe the direct link to the pic works?
http://i49.tinypic.com/vcxse9.jpg

Dutchsiberia

I don't need the spring, barrel already had one!

It drops in nicely
(crummy pics, sorry, and the movement wil be cleaned up some more)

And after fitting the bridge and some gears:

ticking  :wehe

Allright, to do: Final cleanup and lube, sizing assembling and placing winding stem, removing dust from the discs, wearing the watch :)

Here's where I got the parts from (India!)

http://oldswisswatches.com/Spares/Zodiac_Mechanical_Movements.htm

Just email him with your requests, he's quick to respond and a nice guy :)

Butch

Good deal all around Dutch. Looking forward to the finished product!

Dutchsiberia

I'll make photo's and let you know :) I'm taking my time with this one, my impatience has cost me a watch once  :(

Dutchsiberia

No time for pics yet, but the watch runs and is on my wrist right now  ;D

Dutchsiberia

some quick pics of the movement.
The plastic discs could use some more cleaning, but I'm very careful, don't want to damage anything.

Dutchsiberia

Wristshot :)

The scratches are very visible now, I've got "stuff" to polish glass crystals, but I'll try it on other watches first :)

Butch has an awesome astrographic for sale, but I've got an different bracelet it seems.

orangecorallimorph

Hey thanks Dutch...
It's nice to see a series of pics as  you worked on that timepiece. I wouldn't worry about "fine" watchmaker, you obviously got some mad skills yourself to even attempt the work in the first place!!! Great job! And wear that watch with pride knowing you saved a small fortune being able to do the work yourself!!!
Keep it Real, Orange C.

Morello

Hello!

Where did you buy a new main spring barrel (complete)?

Best regards
Morello

Dutchsiberia

szabgab

Hi, just a warning though... PLease check with Sudarson (the guy, who is running the oldswisswatches place) if the part you are getting does a) is an exact fit b) it's a new or salvaged part... I had a bit of a run with the guy because of this (but he sent a refund pretty swiftly)

Morello

Morello

szabgab

yes, he seems to sometimes reply almost instantly and sometimes takes his time. He will reply eventually.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign