News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Be prepared to take out a loan....

Started by Ultra-Vintage, October 17, 2012, 05:41:48 PM

Ultra-Vintage

to restore this basketcase if someone here is bidding this high on item number:

That movement is most likely completely T-Rash.  That is old hard rust, that has been on there quite a while.  I see lots of rust, broken jewels, and plenty of other scary things (and that is only what is possible to see so far).  The dial has some issues, but they may be worse than what we can see now.  On some watches that have really bad water damage, the dial looks ok undisturbed, but when taken out the finish can just start falling apart (same goes with the crystal, that printing on the underside is more fragile than people think).  One or both chrono buttons are shot, it does not have the original screw-down crown (and if I had to guess, by the looks of it they yanked the original tube too and stuck a cheap non-screwdown crown on it.  Wonder why it got water in it then......hmmmm).  I dont know how high this one will go, but I would be thrilled at the price already if I was the seller.

Butch

I cannot believe that chrono is at $585 as I write this! The seller was honest, he posted pictures of the rust and speaks of it in his description. While I applaud the seller, I doubt the sensibility of the last 4 bidders. There is probably no way that watch can be restored for less than $1,000 by a reputable watchmaker.

Were I to buy that and send it to BWG, he would not be BWG any longer.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Ultra-Vintage

$649 Wow. 

Possible costs depending on who you had do the restoration work: Replacing the Valjoux 72 alone will cost you $600-$800 minimum, then you would pay $300-$500 to have that movement serviced more than likely, then you would pay $70-$120 to have a new screw-down crown and stem installed, $40-$70 for each of the pushers.  Now if the dial or crystal would be damaged once you get it out of there and take a look at it, pretty much everything listed would be a waste of time. 

You would be better off buying a nice one from the start for $1600-$2000 IMHO.  I agree with Butch that I dont believe the seller tried to hide anything in this sale, I just think that the people bidding have no idea what a money-pit a watch like that can turn into. The sad thing is that you still may not end up with a nice collection-worthy example in the end regardless of all that cost and effort.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign