News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Incoming Seawolf but.... (arrived with pics!)

Started by Dutchsiberia, November 30, 2012, 11:57:08 AM

Dutchsiberia

Nice seawolf to tinker with

But?
Check the caseback  ^-^

I bet Butch sees it in a second :)

Butch

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Dutchsiberia

I don't know yet, but I'll provide it after receiving the watch. It's marked as shipped at the moment  :-)

jon p

is that an early 1960s model with the script on the CENTER of the back??

Dutchsiberia

How about the depth rating  :-)

jon p

early ones were 10ATM, also note the lack of the  " veins " in the hands. added later to help hold the lume in the hands.

Dutchsiberia

Serial is 1227115

hmmm... The serial of my "regular early seawolf" is 1313242...

Inside a AS1624

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&AS_1624

Runs fine, but the rotor bearing or mounting post is véry worn, making the rotor "rattle" against the caseback.

Nice supple grey gasket?

The caseback came off quite easily

Some quick polish of the cracked crystal reveals a nice dial and why it was a very good idea to add the vein in the hands.

Caseback

Crown looks nice

Comparing it with my "regular early seawolf"
No "swiss" on the dial!

I'll clean it some more, and will try to find a solution for the worn rotor bearing/ mounting post.

jon p

i think your latest one is a redial, note the slightly smaller numbers and lack of " swiss " at bottom of the dial.i dont know why but the re- dialers just cant get the exact right size on the numbers and leave off swiss a lot. it looks GOOD,though, a LOT better than average. hope you get it repaired and restored to its original glory---sea wolfs ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dutchsiberia

Hm. Very competent redialer? Usually you can see a redial in two seconds... it still looks very nice :)

Butch

Back then they had the dies so they could make GOOD redials. Are you sure it does not say SWISS under the dial? The '61 catalog on ZC does show them to be marked.

Dutchsiberia

I'll check! (It's not visible now, but I'll uncase the movement)

Dutchsiberia

Here's the dial under normal light

Nothing under the 6.

But at an angle, with the flash on from my phone camera reveals this!

A bit too close to the edge during stamping?

(And I found an AS rotor in my parts pile that fits and is less worn out :) )

I just walked around in the dark hall of my house and noticed a faint glow, not influenced by holding the watch next to a light. It's definately radium :)

Butch

JDS (Ohio)

Congrats on a rare one!  How much restoration are you planning to do?

BTW, my first generation Sea Wolf also only claims 10 ATM waterproof, though I didn't actually save any case back shots.  It's also slightly smaller than the more commonly found 20 ATM versions, and has a different dial (arabics not enclosed) and the ribless hands:

John

jon p

:ur :wehe  JOHN, nice one my friend, seldom seen--especially in this beautiful condition-- and a very uncluttered clean look. i love white faces with black hands, much easier for my tired old eyes to see.

JDS (Ohio)

Thanks Jon, it's always surprising to see how legible a dial Zodiac was able to squeeze into 35 and 34mm cases, back in the day.  It would probably get a little more wrist time if the band weren't so tight (we all know how hard it is to find bands or spare links for the old Sea Wolves), though I would still baby it.   
John

jon p

john, have you tried one of the bracelet extenders that fit in the clasp and give you some extra lenght? should be some on the bay. it is removeable so you can go back if you want to. just a thought, i know i cannot stand one too tight, i wear mine very loose.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign