News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

delete

Started by amcal, December 05, 2012, 06:17:42 PM

amcal

delete

Butch

$123.50? With $23 for the shipping? It is worth about what you paid for it.

eBay 230868717810
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

amcal

That's not the watch I paid for.  Looks like it though.

I paid around $240.  But the seller said it was serviced 5 weeks ago.

I looked at the seller name.  It's not the same guy that bought the watch in the listing you posted.

My listing is:

jon p

:shuc  looks like late 1960s, due to bezel type, metal. it appears that the  bezel has had the chrome plating polished off, and  the CORRECT movement should be a 17 jewel. minute/hour hands look wrong, may be off a GMT. around $150. is a fair price. be careful removing the back, very tight snap back. wow, i looked at your item ##, sure looks exactly like the same watch!!! also, description states "BROWN" dial, there was NEVER a brown dial, that is a sun faded BLACK dial.

amcal

I think someone bought the watch from overseas and then resells them in the US. 
I looked at the Filipino listing and it's the same watch.

amcal

So this watch isn't all original but the ebay post said it was.

I want a SeaWolf, but I'm leaving the country soon and I don't have time to hunt and barter.

The listing said I have 30 days to return the watch.

What would you do in my situation? 
Is this thing worth keeping?

jon p

if it was MY choice i WOULD RETURN IT for a refund and keep looking!!there are a LOT of original sea wolfs available, though probably not that low priced. when you find one you are interested in get on this forum for help. there is a lot of zodiac knowledge available.

amcal

I guess I'll have it looked at when I get it.

I might love it.

The fact that's it serviced is a major selling point.
Having a vintage watch serviced is costly. 

I'll have it checked out and tell you how it goes.

Cobber

"worth keeping" are the key words. It's unlikely you could sell it for what you paid unfortunately. That watch is not original in my opinion. I believe the hands have been replaced and the jewel count is incorrect as jon stated.  That being stated, it's actually pretty cool looking and perhaps someone will correct me in regards to the hands.

Dutchsiberia

And you might want to get some proof of the servicing, like a watch maker's invoice

I just took a look at the pictures, a competent watch maker would at least have fixed the bent winding stem/crown?
The dial looks weird, the hands look weird. A dive watch with non luminous hands? I would return it and wait for a better one. They are out there  :-)

Butch

The hands are incorrect for a Sea Wolf. Condition is very worn. I too think it is the same watch, just a resell.

A subscription to ZodiacCatalogs.com can go a long way in preventing a buy like this.

Reminder: This is a collectable, don't go running around the desert with this nor jump in a swimming pool with it.

jon p

:shuc  i would not count on it really being recently serviced, this guy puts this statement on most of his listings. i noticed he stated " keep fairly accurate time". it shoul keep very accurate time, when BWG services one it does. a lot of these dealers do a swish the whole movement in the cleaner and then apply a little oil here and there, never taking it apart. i hope it runs good when you receive it.

amcal

Update:

The seller said he made a typo and that the movement is actually a 17 Jewel movement.

I'll make sure to get it checked out when I see my watchmaker.

If all I need is new hands for the watch then I'm gold.

Dutchsiberia

Where would you find new hands? (and can you tell it to us too :) )

amcal

I've seen dials, hands, and bezels on the bay from time to time.

I won't get them tomorrow, but in time...

amcal

So I got the watch.
I inspected it.
It doesn't even hack.
I know it's not a Seawolf movement inside just by that fact.

I contacted the seller for a refund.  I have a 30 day time period to return the watch so I'm not worried.
I bought another SeaWolf with a metal bracelet.
Hopefully this one with me on the level.  It's supposed to be newly restored and serviced.  We'll see...

Butch

Not every Sea Wolf hacks. And some just break and need a repair. And then there could be what you said.

Ultra-Vintage

Quite a few Seawolfs do not hack.  Quite often it is that the parts are broken or missing, but I have also seen countless 70-72s that just did not even have the cut-out in the plate for the hack parts.  Not sure why, only the original company could tell us the reason.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign