News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Hermetic SST 36000

Started by abzack, January 03, 2013, 09:01:43 PM

abzack

This is getting out of hand.  First the Sea Wolf, then the Aerospace GMT, now this...

Picked up the watch and bracelet separately, but I think they are a great match.

;D

440_Magnum

Exactly the kind of Zodiac I'm always keeping my eye out for- I like at least a few complications like day/date, but not necessarily a full blown chronogaph and I've already got my triple-date that started the whole disease for me. That SST is just beautiful. Do you know the year of manufacture?

abzack

Thanks 440.  I don't know the exact year of production for this one.  It was listed as a 70s model, but I need to do some more research on it.  I have to admit I took a chance on this one because it was listed as running, but the photos weren't very good.  I asked for additional photos and he tried, but they were not much better.  Thankfully the seller was willing to negotiate the price.  I am the same way when shopping for a new watch, I generally look for at least the date or day/date.  I am keeping my eye out for a nice triple date, but it seems prices have really gone up recently.  I just saw Butch's post "Where in the HELL are they getting these starting prices??"  Just saw your triple date in your "Intro" post.  Extremely nice.

440_Magnum

I made exceptions to my "at least date" for my two old Bulovas because of the unique faces (green color on one, starburst pattern on the other). But I've got enough plain-janes now... time for a vintage chronograph. ;D

Butch

abzack, that model is shown in 3 of the 1970's catalogs. There was also a pre-SST version of that model in the later 60's.

440, good point on the complication. Chronos are nice... until one finds out what the service costs are!
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

abzack

Thanks for the info Butch.  I agree on the cost of service on chronos, especially on the older manual wind movements compared to a newer automatic.

440_Magnum

Service costs are an issue. Even the triple-date is significant, and a chrono is even higher. Still, an automatic chronograph is kinda the ultimate in mechanical watchmaking and eventually having one in good condition is a goal of mine.

Cobber

I've been keeping an eye out for a chronograph. I've been assuming any one I can find in a price range I consider reasonable will need a service. Hadn't really considered the cost of a service. What should I expect to pay?

abzack

I paid $195 for a service on a Venus manual chrono earlier this year, but the watchsmith told me he was raising his price to $225 for the same service.  The movement wasn't running right, it would stop and start, but worked great after the service.

Butch

Funny thing that, a service from a good watchmaker will run you $200-300 (more likely the latter). There is not a whole lot of difference in price between a 2 register or a 3 register, or if it is manual or an automatic.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Offshore

I am a qualified watchmaker, and would charge $250 for a chrono service.
However thats before any parts required, and recently I have been adding some charge for time spent sourcing parts.
Some of this old stuff can eat up your time finding ( or not finding) bits!
I tend to throw it back to the owner after a few hours spent hunting.

Offshore

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign