News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Missing Sea-Chron Bezel

Started by jcoffman, February 20, 2013, 07:41:36 AM

jcoffman

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the possibility of my ever finding a replacement bezel for my Sea-Chron (purchased in January, 1972?  Are there and ideas out there regarding possible sources? Mine had the natural metal color, and was not black, like some.
Jim

Ultra-Vintage

Unfortunately, that will be a difficult find.  I do not believe I have ever seen a loose Sea-Chron bezel for sale, just several Sea-Chrons missing their bezels....

jcoffman

Thanks.
That was the same impression I had.  What a shame. Mine came off one day and I didn't notice it until it was impossible to try to find.
Jim,

Ultra-Vintage

So you have the watch that is just like mine in my profile pic then?  The gray is a lot less common than the black bezel unfortunately.

jcoffman

Yes, that is the exact watch I have, without the bezel. A little cleaning and a new or buffed crystal and it would be as good as new....if I had not lost the bezel  decades ago.
Jim

L. Ocle

Hi, Jim. Please let me modify and personalize  your question a bit  :):

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the possibility of me ever finding a Sea-Chron????

:(

I know I'll never make this one...

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: jcoffman on February 24, 2013, 08:01:03 PM
Yes, that is the exact watch I have, without the bezel. A little cleaning and a new or buffed crystal and it would be as good as new....if I had not lost the bezel  decades ago.
Jim

I wish that I had better news for you Jim.  However, some surprising things show up on the 'Bay for sale all of the time.  If you wait a while, one is likely to show up.  You will probably have to pay decently well for it though as you will not be the only one looking for one.

jcoffman

I have a search set up on Ebay.  Fingers crossed. I've found some pretty crazy stuff that I was looking for on Ebay, so there is hope.  Thanks.
Jim

jcoffman

I have done some searching around and it seems that people reference some bezels that have a retaining spring and others that snap on. Do you (or anyone) know which type was used on the Sea-Chron (1971-72)?  I guess if it's the spring type I not only need the bezel, but the spring as well! :-(

Jim

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: jcoffman on February 28, 2013, 11:46:55 AM
I have done some searching around and it seems that people reference some bezels that have a retaining spring and others that snap on. Do you (or anyone) know which type was used on the Sea-Chron (1971-72)?  I guess if it's the spring type I not only need the bezel, but the spring as well! :-(

Jim

These take a retaining spring.  However, it could be made if you dont get one with the found bezel.

jcoffman

jcoffman

Thanks to Jose, who gave me a heads up on an Ebay offering for an empty Sea-Chron case with bezel, I now have coming to me the bezel I sought, along with some case parts I don't need.  For reference, my winning bid was $333.33.  Not cheap.  Another person bid the EXACT same amount as I but I got my bid in 4 seconds earlier than he did, so I won!  Luck!  Now I have to get it re-furbished. It runs with the stem out a notch, but stops when the stem is pushed home. The stem had been getting stiffer and stiffer to turn over the years.  It might just need a good cleaning. Also the crystal could use a good buffing, the bezel needs to be installed, and the original band (which I've been using on a Seiko), put back on).  Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the Zodiac repair center would be a good place to send it,  should I just look for a good watch repair shop locally (Wash, DC) or is there an awesome repair vintage Zodiac repair person that is a favorite of the forum?  Thanks!
Jim

incountry

Glad to hear that you found what you needed on Ebay!  Butch turned me on to a watch shop in Sacramento that did some dynamite restore work on two Aerospace GMT's for me.  If you drop Butch an e-mail I'm sure he will fill you in.

jmh86325

Jim, I was wondering if that was you who won...congrats :woohoo;

BTW, Andy at Ultra-Vintage has done a few of mine ,with excellent results

jose

jcoffman

Thanks. I'll start my seach in earnest after the case/bezel gets here and I can take some pictures.   ;)
Jim

jon p

OMG NO, do NOT send it to the zodiac service center, they would NOT have any idea of what to do or how to restore your VINTAGE zodiac!!!!!!!!! send it ONLY to BWG, he IS the ONLY one to use.

jcoffman

That's what I figured.  I just thought I'd ask in order to validate my impression. :-)  Who is BMG? I just received the case/bezel this evening and I'm very pleased with its condition.  Time to service the watch and put it all back together! I will make some inquiries per the suggestions made on this forum.  I need contact info.
Jim

jon p

contact BUTCH, he can give you the details on our zodiac restoration guy, "BUTCHES WATCH GUY"!

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign