News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Hello...New member with vintage Sea Wolf ???s - update w/pics!

Started by timeliz, February 27, 2013, 02:17:24 PM

timeliz

:new

:dancingbanana;  Firstly, I gotta say I love the dancing banana!

Secondly,  :woohoo; I just purchased my first vintage men's Zodiac Sea Wolf Automatic (no date) which I believe is a 1950's vintage.

I am not new to vintage watch collecting by any stretch and should possibly be in rehab for this addiction; but I am a Zodiac newbie and have some questions about my new purchase.  I have done some research already but have not yet discovered the significance, if any, of the scales symbol (Libra) found on the back of my watch...I've noticed that some have this but most don't.  Was this just an earlier design feature and does it have any special significance?  Also, I've read that it is a bit hard for some to open the back of the watch...understandable since it is a dive watch.  Does it need any special tools to remove the back or put back on?  I'm sure I'll have more questions once I receive the watch and have looked it over.   I will post photos then also, but in the meantime... it looks similar to the avatar I choose when registering.

Cheers,
timeliz         :dancingbanana;

aberlow

:welc and i agree  :dancingbanana; is awesome.

As far as opening; the backs are VERY tight. They are one of the very few vintage snap backs requiring a crystal press to get the back securely on. If you got it from a good watchmaker, they generally tend to align the one notch with a lug so that the lug can easily be used to lever the back off with a high quality sharp case knife. If thats the case shouldn't be a problem. If its not aligned these things can be a nightmare to open and i have a broken case opener and the memories of a gash in my hand to show for it.

I would highly recommend handing it over to an experienced repairperson to get it open and serviced.

Can't wait to see it and welcome!

timeliz

Aberlow,

Thank you for the warm welcome and your reply.   :ur    I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that the back was positioned for wound-free removal then, if not, it may be awhile longer to post a movement photo.   I'm expecting the watch by Saturday...hopefully.

I'm still curious about the Libra scales logo found on some of the backs...anyone have a clue?

Thanks again

Cheers   :dancingbanana;
Timeliz

timeliz

The watch arrived and I'm happy overall with it.  It is running and keeps very good time and the condition is better than I expected.  Unfortunately, I cannot get the back off  :shuc .  Also, the bezel does not want to rotate.  Is this normal?
And, I am unable to wind it with the stem for more than an eighth of a turn...Is this normal?  I know there are some Japanese automatics that only wind kinetically but I didn't expect this to be the case with Zodiacs.

Serial # 149xxxx ....would this more likely put it into the early 60's?

Anyhoo...here's a couple of pics

Butch

Per the catalogs on www.ZodiacCatalogs.com the bezel is a dead giveaway. 10K gold and from the 1970's. And the bezel should rotate. As for winding, of course not. There is an article here about winding an auto for accuracy, it should wind easily and smoothly. Nice looking watch, get it serviced and you should be in hog heaven.

Having said all that, why do people XXX out the serial number? I have simply never understood that.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Sea Wolf

The government watch registry Butch.

:ar15; :ak47;

ETA:  incredible looking watch, get that to Butch's watch guy.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Ultra-Vintage

timeliz

Butch,  thanks for your insight.  I'm confused though by your response...are you dating my watch to the '70's based on the gold bezel or by the serial # or both?  I'm trying to nail the date down as accurately as possible...radium or no radium is a big reason.

As for the x's in the serial number, having been a collector for many years of mainly american pocket watches and specifically Waltham and Elgin, who made movements in the millions, dating a watch to a specific year, + or - 1 or 2 yrs, only the nearest 100,000th or millionth was necessary to figure a reasonably accurate production year as these companies kept very good records...anything more was just extraneous info, hence the x 's...old habits die hard.

Cheers,
timeliz

timeliz

Quote from: Ultra-Vintage on March 05, 2013, 07:51:14 PM
Definitely a sharp watch.  Sporty....with class!  :pimp;

Thanks U-V! I agree... classy and sporty all in one and with a touch of gold...   :wehe

Butch

The bezel and the catalogs. Serial number only helps me to make an educated guess. After you have read through the forum more you will find that find that for Zodiacs, there is no list for serial number to year of manufacturer. Welcome to the wonderful world of Zodiac collecting! I am 99.9% sure your watch hands and dial have tritium.

Thanks for the explanation on the XXXs, always baffled me.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

:welc :ur        gold bezel== lucky find! bezels get dirty over the years, most owners NEVER turn them so they become stuck, better than too loose!  get it serviced by our forum watch guy, email BUTCH for details. watch SHOULD wind easy/smooth by hand. it winds clockwise direction. DONT force it, it needs a SERVICE. he can RELUME the hands also, dial needs a light cleaning, looks good. good start on a zodiac collection. it looks like the lume on the dial numbers has alredy been redone, nice neat job.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign