News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Astrographic bracelet question

Started by dawej, March 20, 2013, 03:23:26 PM

dawej

Hi
I was just wondering about the bracelet on this Astrographic; http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/zforums/index.php?topic=1553.0 (scroll down to post #15).

Was this one of the two common Astrographic bracelets, with the presidents style (wich I have on my vintage Astro) being the other?

Just how robust/solid are those? Because my presidents style is quite floppy, not very heavy.

What would an estimated value be on a NOS bracelet of these babies?

Thanks

Butch

That band is heavy and came later in the Astro's life I believe. Was also available with the colored center links on some models. As a VZ Team member you can take a look at the '71 and '75 catalogs and find out for sure. I am thinking there was more than two version of bands for that model but I did not go look today.

As for value <shrug>, whatever the market will bear?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Dutchsiberia

hey that's my watch :) I've seen this type bracelet on a 70's Zenith chronograph and other high end watches from that era.

Nateb123

Quote from: dawej on March 20, 2013, 03:23:26 PM
Hi
I was just wondering about the bracelet on this Astrographic; http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/zforums/index.php?topic=1553.0 (scroll down to post #15).

Was this one of the two common Astrographic bracelets, with the presidents style (wich I have on my vintage Astro) being the other?

Just how robust/solid are those? Because my presidents style is quite floppy, not very heavy.

What would an estimated value be on a NOS bracelet of these babies?

Thanks

My blue 71 Olympos SST came with that bracelet with blue centre links.  It's very solid and has huge, solid springbars like nothing I've ever seen.  The openings for the springbars are also hidden in the side of the links.  Finishing is that classic 70s rough brushing we all know and love.  Overall it just oozes quality.   The all stainless version of the brand was also seen on GP Gyromatics, Zenith El Primeros and a few others.  I was trying to find some links for mine because the band is slightly too small so I called Zenith.  They had the original band, completely new for $700.  That's the only band I've ever found for sale of this style.

What is more common is a more rounded version of similar contruction.  Doesn't have the beveled edges on the side links, just a smooth curve.  Those were also found on Astros like yours and are far more common.  They pop up on ebay for 100-120 every couple of months.  Just be aware that if you have a wrist bigger than 7 inches, you will be hunting for links the rest of your life.  Links are never sold.

Here's an example.  They're damn good looking.

dawej

Thanks for the replys.

So, Nate, that Olympus bracelet of yours should look something like this?:

Both those are 21.5-22 mm

And this is from my Astro, wich I assume doesn't have the beveled edges you described? 24mm width, and the bracelet is 23mm I believe:

I have to admit, one the picture you posted, the rounded edges on the bracelet sure fits the quite round edged Astrographic watch.

Nateb123

So the Olympos bracelet is too small eh?  It just connects by a tiny springbar through the centre link on my watch, no big piece at the end so I wasn't sure.  The rounded bracelet is better looking anyways though.

By the way, where is that picture of the bracelets from?  I'd love to get my hands on one of those and finally be able to wear my watch properly.

dawej

Yeah, I actually managed to get a hold on a NOS. I'm tempted though, this bracelet might just make buy a fitting Zodiac watch just to be able to wear the bracelet  8)

But I guess an option would be to grind away a couple of mm's so it would fit my SSW.

Sea Wolf

Quote from: dawej on March 27, 2013, 04:21:22 AM
Yeah, I actually managed to get a hold on a NOS. I'm tempted though, this bracelet might just make buy a fitting Zodiac watch just to be able to wear the bracelet  8)

But I guess an option would be to grind away a couple of mm's so it would fit my SSW.

Please don't grind away on that band for a seawolf.  I'll trade you a seawolf JB band for that if it fits my Astrographic, how long is it?
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

dawej

Quote from: Sea Wolf on March 27, 2013, 06:48:04 PM

Please don't grind away on that band for a seawolf.  I'll trade you a seawolf JB band for that if it fits my Astrographic, how long is it?
The bracelet is 16 cm long and can be extended to 16.5 cm. Lug width is approx 21.2-21.5 mm.

I have a JB champion bracelet for my SW (17mm), might be interested in one for my SSW (~19mm) though.

I actually have a couple of those NOS Astro/Olympos bracelets, I could sell you one if your interested. Send me a PM.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign