News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac and CWC / Heuer cases

Started by rocky555, April 01, 2013, 05:39:56 PM

rocky555

Hopefully this will not be offtopic for this forum, but I am wondering about the certain watch case history.
I have noticed that some Zodiac and CWC from 90's share the  case and bezel ring...

And they also look pretty much the same like some older Heuer divers:

Can someone shed some light on this? Did ex-Heuer director Willy Gad Monnier and someone from CWC get their hands on old Heuer supply, or they bought cases from somewhere else?
Are there other watches made in the same case?

After wearing at 30-40 different watches in the last few years I must say that this case shape and size is maybe the best ever for me.

I see that CWC is still making them in the same/similar case:
http://www.cwcwatch.com/royal-navy-divers-watch.htm

Cobber

I would be interested in knowing who actually made these cases. I just now realized my Vollmer Nacht Schwimmer has the same case. In addition to that it's an all lume dial making it look very similar to the Zodiac pictured.
I remember reading that Vollmer was a case maker that supplied or supplies OEM bracelets and cases to other brands but I am not 100% sure I'm remembering that correctly.
Nauticfish had a model with the same case as well not to mention Vollmer's sister brand Aristo.
I guess all that, whether they're all made by the same company or several, makes this a pretty successful case design.

Offshore

There is a possibility they are out of the Squale factory-
This from the history of Squale-

Squale for decades has become synonymous with quality and reference point of diving watches worldwide.
Super, Master, Medium, and 1000M cases, were sold to brands such as Altanus Genève, Arlon, Potens Prima, Prima Flic, Jean Perret Geneva, Ocean Diver / Blandford, Deman Watch, Margi, Berio, Eagle Star Genève, La Spirotechnique, Wertex, Carlson Tavernier Geneva and Sinn.
500m Cases with crown at 4 were sold to brands like Airin, Dodane, Blancpain, Tag Heuer, Doxa, Zeno and Auricoste. Just to to name a few...
Zeno lately but more in particular Tag Heuer, Doxa and Auricoste in their Spirotechnique versions and Blancpain in the Bund 3H.
These gave Squale much international prestige in the early 70s
Thanks to the commercial success. In 1974, Squale decided to market their own watches as an independent entity, with their own cases, and now alone with Squale name on the dial.

However I believe that all the original companies which took Squale cases, were required to have the Squale logo on the dial

But what took place after the mid 70's when Squale were marketing their own brand watches may be the answer here.
The current Squale Corralone model has the Tag Heuer series 4000 case as its base.

Maybe an answer, or could be way off track, but Squale, headed by Von Buren, were certainly a pre emminent manufacturer of dive watch cases during the early years.

Offshore

rocky555

Some interesting info guys, thanks.  ;)

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign