News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Number between lugs--what does it mean?

Started by rdenney, April 14, 2013, 03:26:41 AM

rdenney

In digging around, I read someone reporting a number marked between the lugs, and that made me curious. My Zodiac is still with BWG, but I have pictures, and I was able to read the number between the bottom lugs: 1716613. Does that mean anything? It doesn't seem like a model number--maybe it's a serial number, though I would have expected that on the movement.

It's different from the number inside the case back, which is 773 931. I've always thought of the case-back number as the case code.

The watch is similar to my avatar, but it is marked "Zodiac" in the box where the avatar watch is marked "SST". There is no SST marking on the dial of mine, but it is a high-beat 17-jewel cal. 86 movement.

Rick "curious" Denney

Butch

Serial number between the lugs and the case number (model specific) inside the case back.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

rdenney

So, the 773 931 number is the model-specific case number. I'm assuming there are no records as to which case number corresponds to which model, unless it's in one of your catalogs, but then those catalogs seem to have a hole right when my watch would have been offered. I'm thinking my watch, labeled as it is and with a cal. 86 (assuming that's the movement it came with) would have been just late enough to have the high-beat caliber but just a bit too early for Zodiac to have designated watches with that movement as "SST". 1968 is the number that comes to mind--but that is just conjecture. But it would be nice to know if that model-specific case number provided more direct evidence than conjecture.

Rick "surprised that the watches were serialized on the case and not the movement" Denney

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign