News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

My first vintage watch - 1968 Zodiac Sea Wolf

Started by dgangi, April 21, 2013, 01:12:52 AM

dgangi

Thanks to Butch on this forum - I just purchased my first vintage watch:  1968 Zodiac Sea Wolf.  It's in really great original condition.  The dial, bezel, and hands are all in fantastic shape (almost NOS!).  The steel bracelet is also in really good shape...just a little stretched out.

Anyway, this watch apparently came from a PX in Vietnam, so it has the history I was looking for.

I'm very excited about this purchase.  I really wanted a watch with meaningful history, not just another old dress watch.

My next vintage watch will be an old railroad watch from Ball or Hamilton...or possibly a WW2 aviator watch...something else with interesting history.

Thx...Doug

JDV

Very nice!!  May I ask what you paid?  I'd like to find that watch for myself as well.

jon p

:woohoo;  great find, beautiful condition! the bracelets were "loose" when new!! they are NOT tight like the rolex jubilee bracelets. are ALL the bracelet links there? should be about 22 links total. get it serviced to be sure it is in top running condition, our zodiac watchmaker can do it for you. contact butch for the info on "butches watch guy" BWG as we all call him!

dgangi

Quote from: jon p on April 21, 2013, 07:46:57 AM
:woohoo;  great find, beautiful condition! the bracelets were "loose" when new!! they are NOT tight like the rolex jubilee bracelets. are ALL the bracelet links there? should be about 22 links total. get it serviced to be sure it is in top running condition, our zodiac watchmaker can do it for you. contact butch for the info on "butches watch guy" BWG as we all call him!

The watch has 20 links, so does that mean it has all of the links...or am I missing a few?

I have a watch guy locally who I use for service on my watches with ETA movements.  I will see if he can service this old Zodiac.  If not I will contact Butch.

Thx...Doug

dgangi

Quote from: JDV on April 21, 2013, 02:58:04 AM
Very nice!!  May I ask what you paid?  I'd like to find that watch for myself as well.

I paid $500...which I think is the minimum one will pay for an older Sea Wolf in nice condition with the original bracelet.  If you check eBay you will find some over $1000!

Thx...Doug

pknopp

It's what you wanted so it really doesn't matter what you paid. That's a great looking watch that appears to have been well cared for.

jon p

:ur :wehe  sounds like all links ARE there, i counted 2 of my original JB champion bracelets made in different years, one had 22 links , one had 20!! go figure. you did well on the price considering the great condition overall. i love the white dial with black hands, much easier for my old eyes to see over the black dial with silver hands. the original JBC bracelet can be worth $200. on e-bay. get it serviced by whomever you want, but be aware there are some little quirks with the zodiacs. i tried to have a local watchmaker-- whom i had used on some of my bulovas, etc-- service my first zodiac GMT. well, $150. later and it still did not run correctly, he just didnt know on of the weird little things about it. i emailed BWG and without seeing the watch he told me what was wrong! it came back running perfect. that is why most of us here use HIM. might as well get it done RIGHT the FIRST time. you have been bitten by the zodiac bug, what model are you looking at NEXT??

dgangi

Quote from: jon p on April 21, 2013, 05:27:59 PM
you have been bitten by the zodiac bug, what model are you looking at NEXT??

Well, my next vintage watch probably won't be another Zodiac.  I am thinking about something with railroad history, such as an old Ball or Hamilton.  Or maybe an aviator watch from WW2.  Regardless, it's not going to be just another "old dress watch" with no history...which is how I landed on the Sea Wolf in the first place.   ;D

The Sea Wolf is actually my 2nd Zodiac.  My first, purchased just 6 months ago, is a 2004 Zodiac Calame Chrono Automatic.  It's definitely not vintage (I think it was during the Fossil years), but I love it nonetheless.

But I will still be a regular member of this forum now that I am a member of the Zodiac family.

Thx...Doug

incountry

Congrats on a great looking watch Doug. Enjoy it!

dgangi

My Sea Wolf got a little wrist time today.  I'm really enjoying this 45yr old beauty.

Thx...Doug

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign