News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Hello everybody, I am new! (Aerospace GMT content)

Started by ticothijs82, July 07, 2013, 11:18:34 AM

ticothijs82

Hello,

I am Tico and I live in The Netherlands, yesterday I picked up a Aerospace GMT. It's my first GMT watch, I allready owned several Swiss , Japanese and Russian watches.

I really like the humbleness of the Aerospace:

The Aerospace had two Dutch owners previously, and the first Dutch owner bought it from a German watch enthousiast (sale topic from the past):http://uhrforum.de/vintage-zodiac-aearospace-gmt-t123716

Any information about this watch is welcome!

Thank you for reading.

ticothijs82

Dear readers,

today I noticed,  that the bezel comes of the case a bit too easy. It seems that the bezel snaps to the case, because of small centrepunch dings? Like on this photo:

Is this the right way? Or am I missing out, on one of those thin spring wires?

Thanks in advance.

Butch

Hi Tico,

I am sorry I did not welcome you before. I tried to take some pictures and post them but am having some issues with my PC it seems.

Early on the metal bezels came first and they just popped on. Then they made the acrylic filed bezels like yours next. And they just popped on too. But, as anyone who owns one like that will tell you, they pop off pretty easily too! So then Zodiac started making them with the retaining spring.

I have never really looked at the cases like you have so I do not know what to say about all those little protrusions you have circled. I do know that the detent ball you see there is in different positions around the case for all the variations of the bezels they have made over the years though.

One of the toughest things about a Sea Wolf or a GMT is not only finding another bezel if you lose one, but finding the RIGHT bezel. It seems that they often tweaked the design of them and not all metal bezels fit all metal bezel cases. Just as all acrylic filled bezels will not fit every acrylic filled case for them as well.

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

ticothijs82

Thanks for your reply. I could experiment, with a piece of 0.5mm spring tempered inox wire. Or maybe my watchmaker knows a solution. Or is there a known way of solving this "problem"? Any help appreciated, losing the bezel would be a shame.

Butch

Silicone sealant, which can be removed later if needed. But then it will not turn...

jon p

butch, great idea, better to not turn instead of it falling off and gone! i have had great luck with BWG tightening mine, i dont know what he does but he worked wonders on my one owner black dial SW. it had become SO loose i was afraid to wear it.

ticothijs82

Quote from: jon p on July 16, 2013, 12:29:31 PM
butch, great idea, better to not turn instead of it falling off and gone! i have had great luck with BWG tightening mine, i dont know what he does but he worked wonders on my one owner black dial SW. it had become SO loose i was afraid to wear it.

Hi Jon,

who is BWG? I am very curious about his methode.

Thank you.

Butch

BWG is the watchmaker that I recommend to service watches here. He does not sell parts nor give lessons though.

ticothijs82

Hmm, okay Butch I understand. I am not thinking about sending my Aerospace to the States, so I am hoping my own watchmaker can help me out.

Greetings

JDS (Ohio)

It's still a beauty of a watch though, even if it has parts availability problems.  Congrats!
John

incountry

Hi Tico,
That's a real nice looking GMT you have there.  Consider using the sealant as was suggested earlier by Butch; that way you will not have to part with your watch for any length of time.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign