News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Vintage Gold Zodiac Camaro 1960s

Started by Moser2123, October 12, 2013, 10:14:54 PM

Moser2123

Hey folks,
Recently acquired a vintage Zodiac 'Camaro' wrist watch, but have been having trouble getting info. on it.

I found a similar one (shown at the following link), but aside from the small amount of info. I got from the original web site, I have failed to find anything further

http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs/68.Camaro/z.Poor_Man's_Camaro/Zodiac_7734/11ZodCam7734.jpg

If anyone happens to know anything about this watch, namely a value, it would be much appreciated!

Much thanks,
Max

pknopp

It's probably a very nice watch but it's hard to tell without pictures.

Moser2123

Thanks for your response, Pknopp. If you noticed, I did provide a picture in my original post.

While this is not my EXACT watch, the two are the SAME watch, and are in relatively similar condition. The two gentlemen that I have taken my watch to have told me that they would consider it to be in MINT condition, but were unable to determine a value aside from the watch's weight in gold.

Does this give you any inkling of an idea as to the value?

best,
Max

pknopp

Not trying to be difficult......."similar" isn't "exactly the same". There are a couple close to it in the Forum pics.

Collectors all have their eccentricities that set them off and calling this a "Camaro" is likely one of those here.  :D

I'm not a collector of Chronographs and it seems their prices are all over the place.

jon p

all i know is chronographs are not cheap and to have one serviced is very expensive! i only own 2 and both are wakmanns, one 1958 all original 3 register that belonged to my dad who was a pilot, and a french wakmann 2 register that dates to the mid 1960s.  i dont wear them often, just wind em up everyonce in a while to exercise them.

Moser2123

Butch

Quote from: pknopp on October 14, 2013, 07:48:56 PM
  Collectors all have their eccentricities that set them off and calling this a "Camaro" is likely one of those here.  :D

Oh c'mon pknopp, if he wants to call his chronograph Camaro, let him. I call one of mine Jon.

OK Moser, let me see if I can catch up here. The one in the link that has pictures is not yours, right? But yours is similar. Can you give me pictures of yours, front and back, especially the gold hallmarks?

Zodiac collectors do not have names like that for their Zodiacs, we go by the model name. Now, if yours is 14K or 18K it could very well be worth more for the scrap gold and selling the movement on eBay than you would get for the watch itself. Are you planning on keeping it or just trying to price it for a sale? I can tell you that Zodiac chrono's that came in a solid gold case (14K or 18K) are rare. And it is even rarer to find one that survived the 1980's when gold got up to $800/oz. (I wish I had bought a lot more back then!)

A typical stainless steel Zodiac 2 register chrono (that is the name for your watch) goes for $200-400, depending on the condition. And THEN you get the pleasure of spending $200-300 for the service. W/O parts of course. The one in the link is from the 1970's. Here is Jon (the guy that GAVE it to me) from that same era. It's is like new, with the original band, is serviced, and is valued at $800-$1,000, to the right buyer of course. http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/p7lsm_img_2/fullsize/1970s2RegChrono_fs.jpg

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

:butchLOL;  i AM truly honored that you would name one of your beautiful zodiac chronos JON!!   WOW. i just dont know what to say. :dh :dancingbanana;

Butch

Don't be, it wasn't you that gave it to me. You never give me anything.

:cool;

jon p

Butch

pknopp

Quote from: Butch on October 15, 2013, 07:19:19 PM

A typical stainless steel Zodiac 2 register chrono (that is the name for your watch) goes for $200-400, depending on the condition. And THEN you get the pleasure of spending $200-300 for the service. W/O parts of course. The one in the link is from the 1970's. Here is Jon (the guy that GAVE it to me) from that same era. It's is like new, with the original band, is serviced, and is valued at $800-$1,000, to the right buyer of course. http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/p7lsm_img_2/fullsize/1970s2RegChrono_fs.jpg

If I was to ever buy one it would be like that one without the large pushers.

Butch

"If I was to ever buy one it would be like that one without the large pushers."

Don't do it, it's a trick! BWG taught me this. The larger pushers like on mine are NOT a waterproof watch. The "similar" model with the smaller round pushers were the waterproof models.

Moser2123

The two watches are the same - mine and the one shown in the picture. Same serial number (73445) marked between the lugs. I believe that the first person I took the watch to to get appraised told me that it was 18kt gold. The watch is absolutely gorgeous, there's no doubting that.

I really appreciate your help, and am ecstatic about the feedback I've gotten here. Obviously, I am not as in tune with the Zodiac lingo, as this is my one and only Zodiac watch. I was simply referring to the watch model as a 'Camaro' based on information that I found on the site here http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=45369

Further research led me to find that Heur makes a 'Camaro' watch that has the same, pillowcase-like shape. If you Google Image search 'Heur Camaro' you'll see what I'm talking about. Perhaps Heur made the casing for Zodiac for this particular model?

Stay posted for pictures of MY watch. I will try to upload them either tonight or tomorrow. The value of the watch will determine whether or not I keep or sell it. I'm mainly on here to gain some knowledge and learn a bit myself.

Moser2123

Butch

You are absolutely correct. Heuer was the center of the watch world back then. They made everything for every other watch company. No other company could buy the parts Huers bought from their suppliers. Huer invented ever watch model know to man, and produced them for all the other companies. Use the search function here to find out more about the all seeing, all knowing, all powerful Heuer.

That is in excellent condition. How about the gold markings on the back? Can you post a picture of them?

Ultra-Vintage

Butch

Thanks UV (out resident chrono expert).

If the watch is gold plated, then that actually hurts the value as a stainless steel version is worth more than a gold plated version due to wear through potential.

Moser2123

Well, its a bit of a disappointment to learn that the stainless steel model would have been more valuable; however, as far as looks are concerned, I'll take my watch all day!

Butch - do the pictures I provided give you enough information to give me a rough estimate of the value now? : )

Thank you for your help on this one, too,  Ultra-Vintage!

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign