News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Imitation

Started by jmh86325, February 15, 2014, 10:08:07 AM

jmh86325

IS the sincerest form of flattery!

Offshore

Yeh, saw that and wondered if they both came from the same factory?
The Dacor has its own little following.
Looks like its going to make a good price.....I thought $100 the pair was about the mark.
O/S

Ultra-Vintage

Someone sure thought a lot of the pair considering the final price!

Butch

Same factory?  {sigh} Have we learned nothing here?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jmh86325

Quote from: Butch on February 19, 2014, 09:30:34 AM
...of course we have...Heuer makes everything :sici

Offshore

Sorry Butch, but obviously
I haven't! Never even seen a Dacor branded watch!
Have seen plenty of brand name watches carrying dive company logos, and some other Dive company watches, but never one from Dacor.
Which made me wonder if they commissioned Zodiac to do one for them WITHOUT the manufacturers brand on the watch.
Seen it happen with Doxa carrying a few dive company logos, even Squale who made cases for a number of companies....but I don't know the history of this one.
Is there a thread i should read? cos a search for Dacor showed nothing.
Offshore

Iktomi

Pretty interesting. Never even heard of a Dracor and I can hardly find anything about them online.

Butch

Quote from: Offshore on February 20, 2014, 06:33:36 AM
Sorry Butch, but obviously
I haven't! Never even seen a Dacor branded watch!
Have seen plenty of brand name watches carrying dive company logos, and some other Dive company watches, but never one from Dacor.
Which made me wonder if they commissioned Zodiac to do one for them WITHOUT the manufacturers brand on the watch.
Seen it happen with Doxa carrying a few dive company logos, even Squale who made cases for a number of companies....but I don't know the history of this one.
Is there a thread i should read? cos a search for Dacor showed nothing.
Offshore

Hey Offshore, I MAY owe you an apology for scoffing at your remarks. I finally had some free time to return to this and do a little research. You know, what you say may have actually happened. I was able to find out that there was a company called Dacor. It was one of the first 5 scuba diving supply companies in the US. (They are gone now.) They dated back to the 50's. I have never heard of a Dacor watch before now, but I am sure there are a hundred small Swiss watch companies I have never heard about. It is certainly possible that in (what appears to me to be) the 1960's they had their own brand watch made for them by a Swiss watch company that they sold through their stores.

We DO know that Zodiac did make watches for other companies, even a model or two for Tiffany & Co. Zodiac was small enough, and I presume hungry enough, to do custom dials for many companies and even countries.

Here are some references that I found that lead to this line of thinking. Please note that I am in no way confirming your line or reasoning, just willing to share some actual research that I did.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080801163333/http://www.divedacor.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacor_%28scuba_diving%29
http://www.watchestobuy.com/DacorDive.htm
http://neatwatch.com/wristwatches/dacor.html

If anyone wants to pursue this research, feel free, I am done with it.

Now, to all your Heuer and Breigtling "fans" out there, this is what we call actual research, but by no means extensive research. Not simply looking at two similar looking watches and DECREEING that both were made by the same company, one for another, just to be able to add a few more buzz words to attract other collectors and increase your sales.

Offshore

Butch,
I was very involved in the dive industry from mid '60's until the 80's, so I well knew Dacor (not Dracor)
They punched above their weight, and were seen as a US Divers equal back then.
I was an instructor (#3 in Oz) and ran a dive store, as well I was lead instructor on Heron Is, in the early '70's.
I now have a collection of 6 Doxa models, around 12 Zodiac SW, just recently acquired a couple of Clebar dive models, and am the distributor for Squale in Oz...(who have a long history of building cases for a plethora of dive watch manufacturers.)
So I did wonder if Dacor may have commissioned a "Sea Wolf" own brand. That sort of thing was pretty common during this period.
Guess we will never find out.....the auction got too expensive for my blood, and of course I suffer by having to pay in U$ and then pay ridiculous post costs to get these "parts or repair" watches to Oz! :)

This place is absolutely what we need to explore all these origins of the species, so please continue to question any and all statements.

Offshore.

Butch

Sorry, typo fixed, thanks!

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign