News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

EBAY is responsible for all these rediculous prices!!!!

Started by Butch, July 09, 2014, 04:29:10 PM

Butch

So I am looking at new listings a and see this Zodiac Spacetronic in auction 231279023278. So I am like, "Where in the hell did this guy get his Buy It Now price of $450?"  ???

I looked in the completed auctions, I did not see any that have sold for over $100. WAIT! And then I see the gray NOS one from May 31st - 360947267594. Hmmm. It shows as completed as well as sold, in the advanced search feature. But according to my snipe program, it went all the way through the auction end date with out ever being sold.

The I remembered that my son said that eBay was suggesting prices for your items when you listed them now. Huh. Well, I have not sold anything on eBay for over 2 years now so I tried to list one to see what happens. Sure enough, IF YOU CLICK ON (See how others priced and sold it) when you get to the pricing section of your auction it does show this as sold and suggests this price to the listing seller.

Any eBay sellers here that use this feature? Or want to try going forward to see what pricing eBay suggests to you and sharing it here with us? Obviously, by clicking on the link you do not HAVE to us it.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Saloonkeeper

I have not sold anything on Ebay for years; although, I do have a Sea Wolf listed on the bay at this time. I didn't notice this feature when listing the Sea Wolf. In my opinion, it's bad policy on Ebay's part. I can see many frustrated sellers with comments like: "Why is my gadget not selling? Ebay, gave me the fair price." When, in fact, Ebay gave them a price that some "uneducated buyer" (<-------- politically correct) overpaid for a similar item.

jmh86325

People were nuts when it came to pricing long before eBay introduced this... case in point.... 281382754975..."am no watch expert so I am pricing this watch as if it is not running/keeping time" ...makes you wonder what he would ask if it was serviced? :sici

jon p

:SB: :SB:  it is not e-bays fault, it is due to the uneducated BIDDERS who go wild and try to compete ,going crazy on the prices. decide what it is worth TO YOU,SET that price and let it rip! if you loose it ,just wait, there WILL be more later, probably in better condition, price etc. dont let the competition bug get you or you will pay too much. there are great buys out there, just be patient. :#rant :#rant

incountry

Jon, I agree with you to an extent. E-bay is not at fault for people paying more than they should but e-bay certainly encourages sellers to price items higher with their "suggested" listing prices.  It's better for them if items sell at a higher price; they get a bigger cut and their other business at PayPal gets a bigger share when the buyer pays through them.  So yeah, I would say E-bay and Paypal have a vested interest in promoting higher prices. 
Don't feed the frenzy!  :ar15;

jon p

:SB: :SB:   you ARE right,and ebay IS in business to make money, any way they can! but, i still say, it is the end CONSUMER who actually sets the real prices. if the suggested price is too high, simply dont bid, it is as easy as that. i have got some FANTASTIC BUYS on e-bay, but i have also passed on a lot that was more than i was willing to pay. someone else WAS willing to pay, and thats just fine. in their mind it was worth it to THEM. i dont agree with e-bay setting these suggested prices, but to fight back DO NOT PAY THAT PRICE!!!!! it works for me, has in the past and should in the future. e-bay is kinda a necessary evil, just do not let it consume you.      :#rant

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign