News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Pleasantly surprised by ebay purchase of nice old Sea Wolf..

Started by todd57, October 03, 2014, 10:14:38 PM

todd57

Hi All,

First post for me, and hope my pictures attach correctly.

I stumbled across this forum few weeks ago, read a bit and then took a chance on a cheap Sea Wolf. Some of you guys may have seen it advertised on the 'bay for $229.  The seller noted that it ran but had "tar" on the movement!  It was hard to see the dial condition due to a bad picture of a very badly scratched crystal...

So, a bit of time with some polywatch and the dial is a pleasant surprise. Very close to mint with perfect lume that still glows weakly for a few minutes after exposure to strong light. 

The movement is pretty messy with lots of melted gasket (the "tar") hanging around. Miraculously the thing keeps good time!
Also looks like no one has ever touched a screw head, and no service marks.  Case appears to be unpolished.

Only problem I see is that it won't hack, and obviously needs a good tear down and rebuild by a watchmaker who can work on an offset canon pinion. 

My watchmaker has too many of my other projects right now, so I'm thinking of sending it to Goldsmithwatchworks in Georgia.  He seems to have experience with these.  Has anyone here had experience with them?  Any other recommendations?  I would also like to replace some of the missing tan/beige fill in the arrow at the zero mark in the bezel.
Can someone recommend a substance that would work? And what is that stuff anyway?

Is there a good technique for getting black paint into the 5 minute markers on the bezel where it is missing? Perhaps a tiny artists brush and just wipe off the overflow?  Semigloss black?

I've been wearing this baby for the last day and really love it. Quite happy with my little find.

cheers,
Todd

todd57

jon p

:wehe   :welc  first, welcome to the forum! you made an amazing buy--that is one NICE all original--except for bracelet--late 1960s sea wolf!! there are bargains out there, you just have to find them. i would invest in a service with BWG quickly, that melted gasket material is not good !! probably the reason it will not hack. even with the cost of a good service by our resident watchmaker you still have a real prize! use our watchmaker, i just dont trust the place you mentioned in georgia, their ads have way to much mis-information and hype.their "restored" zodiacs have some problems.  just my opinion. i live near to them and i use our forum watchmaker. believe me, he REALLY knows offset canon pinions. good luck, you have a nice SW, treat it right.    :#rant :SB: :BGW: :BGW: :BGW:

jmh86325

:agreei...Rock does work on Zodiacs, but his seem over restored and lose their identity...don't mess with the dial, remember it can only be original once...if you want to tell time in the dark, get a new Zodiac

i too recommend and use  :BGW: for all my Zodiacs and some others...i have a few with him now...hint,hint

todd57

Thanks so much guys!  I am delighted to use our resident watchmaker, in my haste I had overlooked him on the site.

And yes, the overhyped ads at the other place and their eagerness to relume everything made me a bit nervous..

I am sooo glad I reached out before sending it to them.

And many thanks for the warm welcome!

Butch

Nice looking specimen Todd, you scored well. I saw that one and passed on it. The melted gasket will cost you extra in the service but a lot of us have suffered that with Zodiacs before. For some reason their gaskets just don't seem to have survived the past 40+ years. Huh, go figure.

BTW, not all of them hacked. Sometimes those parts were not installed at the factory. It is what it is man. Welcome aboard.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

todd57

Thanks Butch. I'm already looking for my next Sea-Wolf-Score.. I'd like to find one of similar age with white dial and no date.

best
Todd

incountry

:welc to the forum Todd!  Nice watch; you done good. Get that service taken care of and then enjoy wearing it.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign