News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

How to manage your collection?

Started by mikethepipe, October 22, 2014, 02:44:23 PM

mikethepipe

Hi Everyone,

I would be interested to learn how others 'manage' their VZ collections.  For example I only have a small collection at present, and simply rotate wearing each watch on a daily basis.  I can foresee, as the collection grows, it might not be so straightforward.  What do members consider when selecting which watch to use?

For example:
Do you rotate on a daily basis, or perhaps weekly?
Do you simply pick on a whim?
Should you consider the age and/or complexity of the movement to lessen wear and reduce servicing by using less frequently?
Which, if any, model should be 'rested' more than others?

Any comments are most welcome.
Cheers,  Mike

rdenney

I have my watches serviced as needed and then just wear them when I feel like it. I only own two Zodiacs but I own several dozen other watches. Any fixed rotation would be like a millstone around my neck. I just go with my mood, and what watch is appropriate for the dress and situation of the day.

As to minimizing service by not wearing a watch, not really. A watch worn very infrequently can run dry and probably do fine--it would take a very long time for wear to be a problem even with a dry movement, if the watch is only worn a couple of times a year, say. But most older watches are not just dry, they are dirty, and dirt is abrasive, especially if oil has been put on top of it. Any watch worn enough to get dirty needs appropriate regular service. And any watch bought used needs to be serviced immediately to make sure the interior of it wasn't previously hosed down by WD40 or something equally horrifying (and gaskets that have turned to goo are equally horrifying).

Rick "both of whose Zodiacs are in fully serviced condition" Denney

incountry

I have six Zodiacs that stay on the winders and like Rick, I choose which one I'll wear each day although I have two that get more wrist time than the others.  There's just something that draws me to those two, both are late 60's GMT's.
Thanks for the good reminder about the need for regular service Rick.  You made me realize it's time to send a few out to BWG for upkeep.

jon p

when i get ready to strap on a watch for the day, FIRST i think about what i will be doing. rough activities--- get out the $18. plastic casio. if i break it who cares, wal mart is close!! if i am going to have a light duty day break out a vintage zodiac or another of over 50 watches. going to a gun/knife or watch show---- pick a big interesting watch. i have had people ask to buy the watch i am wearing, sometimes i sell it if it is a good offer. i mail them the box, extra bracelet links, etc. choices/choices, aint it great. at a flea market one day, a seller sees my 1969 100% restored bulova snorkel with original bracelet. wanna sell it he says, i might i say if it is worth $550. to you. we proceeded to the ATM and i went home with no watch. i probably had $250. in it so i couldnt pass it up.

mikethepipe

Hi Chaps,

Very many thanks for your comments - most interesting to learn how others think on the subject.  I must admit, like incountry, that I tend to favour a couple of watches over the rest.  And thanks for the reminder about servicing!

'Time never repeats'
Mike

Butch

Quote from: mikethepipe on October 22, 2014, 02:44:23 PM
For example:
Do you rotate on a daily basis, or perhaps weekly? - Maybe.
Do you simply pick on a whim? - Often.
Should you consider the age and/or complexity of the movement to lessen wear and reduce servicing by using less frequently? Every mechanical watch should be serviced every 3-5 years even if it is keeping time. I do that! Working on BWG's kids' college funds now.
Which, if any, model should be 'rested' more than others? - I tend to not wear my 3DMP a lot due to the setting of all the items on it.

With so many it really comes down to what strikes my fancy or what the person I am meeting may like to see. I like them all. I have to confess though I have had a home office since 2008 so I don't get to wear a watch on a daily basis any longer. I have some watches I never wear as they are simply too expensive and/or impossible to replace. The regulators and the jump hour comes to mind here. Also I have some NOS specimens that I do not wear for the obvious reason.

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign