News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

THE bezel question for Sea Wolves...

Started by JDS (Ohio), August 23, 2009, 05:51:32 PM

JDS (Ohio)

Probably all of us know about the almost universal problem of bezel edge brassing on the 20 ATM Sea Wolves from the '60s-'70s: the chrome wears off.  The problem is on both the bare metal bezels, and the enamel filled ones as well.  So my question is, is there anyone who can reliably replate the chrome and return the bare metal ones to their jeweler case condition, and can anyone not only do that, but also redo the enamel on the later versions?  

I've always wanted to have a black dial Sea Wolf with bare metal bezel restored to it's original, out of the box look and condition, and the same for a black dial Sea Wolf with gray enamel bezel.  I finally despaired of finding one without that brassing in either configuration, and also realize that replating is a touchy opertion, not to mention that I have NEVER heard of anyone re-enameling any of the Sea Wolf bezels.  

I wonder if someone could make a mold from a bezel, and cast some replacements in stainless steel?  I have seen stainless steel investment castings, but have no idea of how hard it is to accomplish nor of the tooling costs.  My guess is that there just isn't the market out there to justify the tooling costs and sell out a production run.

John

PS: And, as long as I am dreaming, wouldn't it be nice if someone could make a replacement bracelet too, especially one of those oyster styles with the spring loaded clasp? :)
John

davec73

John,

Might be more economically feasible to locate a NOS bezel.  I've never seen a metal NOS bezel but have seen a few NOS blue/gray enamel bezels.  One went for a pretty reasonable price on ebay recently, iirc.

I know you had a NOS black dial metal bezel Seawolf, did the bezel have any wear to it?

Butch

Bezels have always been a major pain with collecting both the Sea Wolf and the GMT. I have tired various things over the years with limited success. Best I ever had was a guy in OK that had a local chroming place make a special jig for me to dip them and he when then do a brush finish on them before sending them back to me. The problem was that if it was really worn down when I sent it to him, it came back replated, but really worn down. <weak grin>

I was actually in the process of convincing Ken Genender (who produced the newer 2000 Zodiacs) to work with his people in Switzerland to try to re-engineer some sort of replacement bezel for the 60's and 70's Sea Wolf and GMTs when Fossil made him an offer that he couldn't refuse. (Without the dead horse in his bed I might add.)
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

JDS (Ohio)

Quote from: Butch on August 26, 2009, 12:08:02 PM
Bezels have always been a major pain with collecting both the Sea Wolf and the GMT. I have tired various things over the years with limited success. Best I ever had was a guy in OK that had a local chroming place make a special jig for me to dip them and he when then do a brush finish on them before sending them back to me. The problem was that if it was really worn down when I sent it to him, it came back replated, but really worn down. <weak grin>

I was actually in the process of convincing Ken Genender (who produced the newer 2000 Zodiacs) to work with his people in Switzerland to try to re-engineer some sort of replacement bezel for the 60's and 70's Sea Wolf and GMTs when Fossil made him an offer that he couldn't refuse. (Without the dead horse in his bed I might add.)
I have a feeling this could be done, but I don't know enough about casting to even ask the right questions.  It's a real shame though, as Dave said, the bezels are the real weak spot when it comes to restoring those.  And unfortunately, the only NOS enamel bezels I've seen were gray with orange or red markings.

John
John

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign