News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac Ownership Timeline

Started by brtime, December 30, 2015, 02:14:13 PM

brtime

Hello fellow Zodiac enthusiasts. Bruce Shawkey here, friend of the brand, though I do not post often here (or anywhere for that matter!). I am trying to figure out a "timeline" of sorts for ownership of Zodiac. This is for an article I'm doing for the NAWCC Watch & Clock Bulletin. I sort of "flubbed it" 10 years ago when I wrote my first article on Zodiac, I thought there was an "interim owner" between Dixi and Monnier, but now I believe this is not the case. Anyway, here's what I believe to be the chain of ownership:

1882 - 1978: Calame Family
1978-1979: Dixi Group takes over, first a controlling interest, and by 1979 full ownership.
1990: Willy Gad Monnier, formerly of Heuer/Tag Heuer
1998: Genender International *
2001 to present: Fossil Inc., which purchased the brand from Genender for $4.7 million.

* Alan and Ken Genender, the Zodiac brand owners prior to Fossil, have now revived the Clebar brand, which for years was affiliated with Zodiac, making principally chronographs.

Does this square with your understanding of the chain of events? I know this sounds like such an elementary question, but I've been unable to find a straightforward timeline. There are pieces of it scattered here and there, but I thought a straightforward timeline would be useful in putting any given model into its proper time perspective.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Bruce Shawkey

Butch

That is about as close as you are going to get. As a side note, Ken has nothing to do with the modern Clebar brand, it is all Alan.

I still talk with both occasionally.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

brtime

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign