News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Incoming Black Dial Sea Wolf

Started by ChrisG, August 27, 2009, 01:09:45 PM

ChrisG

Just finished snagging this from the bay. Can't wait for the arrival:

davec73

Nice looking piece,

congrats.

careful or you're gonna be hooked on these.  ;)

ChrisG

Too late Dave. I got the fever and it is bad. ;D ;)

Cobra Jock

Nice catch, but a fever it is.  And watch out for that Aerospace GMT fever - it's contagious! 

JDS (Ohio)

Those enamel bezel Sea Wolves were cool, it's a shame they aren't still in active production.  Congratulations Chris!

PS:Can you imagine what an upsized 40mm version would look like?   :)

John
John

ChrisG

jon p

chris--have you received it yet!? looks real good and it looks like ALL original dial and hands with all the original lume present. look on ebay--you can spot a redial usually by the 12-9 and 6 numbers are too small, they dont fill up the triangle marker.i have even seen some that they just didnt put the numbers back at all ! also they usually leave off the tiny swiss under 6.i have an original 1968 i bought new so it is a good one to compare with. let me know when yours arrives and how it runs.remember butches post about the " quick date set",around to 8:30 and back to 12:00- it should change with a snap you can hear and feel.  JON P

ChrisG

Thanks for your help Jon. I've yet to receive it. As soon as it gets in, I'll post more pictures and report on all your information.

Thanks again my friend.

ChrisG

Well, it arrived today ;D. The only bad thing is that the calendar function does not seem to wok. I've tried using the 8:10 to 12 o'clock way and nothing. Swinging all the way, 24hrs, nothing again. The seller is willing to refund me the cost of the repair, so I guess it's not too bad. :(

As promised here are some more pics.

jon p

;Dvery nice-hands still have lume,too. fixing the date is not a biggie--great that the seller will foot the bill!!!probably needs cleaning anyway and that can be done at the same time.this same thing happened to my dads rolex daterjust, local watch repair guy ( NOT A ROLEX DEALER ) fixed it,about 50.00.there is a little pawl with a spring that trips the date to click over-it came out.a friend took his datejust to a rolex repair shop-they would not fix it without a complete tuneup--for 500.00!! looks like you have a clean watch to start with-should turn out nice.if you have the crystal replaced be sure they use the correct one with gasket. the gmt i just bought had the wrong crystal--my watchmaker caught it when cleaning it and put on a correct one.  JON P

ChrisG

Thanks Jon. I will be taken this one to a watchmaker that I was recommended here in my city and see what the deal is. Will keep you all posted.

ChrisG

Well got the $50.00 refund from seller. Now off to the watchmaker. ;)

Butch

Here is a picture of a SW I just bought. It came in and I have already sent it off for restoration. This thing looks like someone wore it for a SHORT period of time and then put it away. 30 years later someone pulled it out of the drawer, cut the band off it, and put it up for sale. This very well could be mint condition (a much over used, and ill used I might add, term use to describe most watches I come across). We'll see. This is from the very late 70's and maybe early 80's when Zodiac was casting about putting parts and dials from one watch in another watch's case. They did this to save money, use up old stock, and still come out with new designs to satisfy the public.

Notice the shiny case, sharp edges, even around the bezel, and the tapered crown. Then the band pins. While I thought my SW phase was over, I bought it. <sigh> This makes 2 now, so maybe I will post one in the For Sale forum, who knows?

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

:o  ;D    BUTCH---a NICE one for sure!! man i love the dial and chunky hands. a GREAT find. when those plastic insert bezels are perfect you know the watch wasnt worn much.  JON P

ChrisG

Congratulation Butch. That is a real beauty. ;D

JDS (Ohio)

Quote from: Butch on September 13, 2009, 07:29:08 PM

Looks like a good score.  I keep a regular search going myself for Zodiacs in the bay, as I still want a couple different versions of the Sea Wolf, especially a gray enamel bezel and maybe (by restoration) get a chrome bezel version into as close as possible to "new" condition.  Now that might be like the guy wandering the earth with a lamp looking for an honest man, but what the heck...

John

Cobra Jock

Finally got a black dial, date window Sea Wolf w/ blue enamel from the "bay."  Got it serviced and cleaned up but the Tritium markers at 12, 6, and 9 are very discolored.  I'll be looking for another dial now.

JDS (Ohio)

Quote from: Cobra Jock on September 27, 2009, 10:47:10 PM
Finally got a black dial, date window Sea Wolf w/ blue enamel from the "bay."  Got it serviced and cleaned up but the Tritium markers at 12, 6, and 9 are very discolored.  I'll be looking for another dial now.
You owe us some photos when it's all done.  And I'm jealous too, I still don't have an enamel version in my collection yet.
John

Cobra Jock

Well, here's the intermediate phase.  Watch is now in good working order and looks OK in the photo,  the dial needs replacing.  If I could find a shop qualified to do a good re-lume job, I'd give it a whirl.  The bezel marker is a bit fubar, but it ratchets around so I can live with that.  Color is a bit off on the bezel, it appears more blue in natural light.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign