News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac reference numbers

Started by ndpadgett, July 19, 2016, 05:39:31 PM

ndpadgett

Hi folks,
Frustrated by the lack of information regarding Zodiac reference numbers etc. on the internet? Yep, me too. So I thought I would float the idea of this site / forum starting a data base that might be used by members to check originality of their Zodiacs or Zodiacs they're looking to purchase.
From research and talking to members of this site I have gained the following information regarding Zodiac reference numbers (Not serial numbers which are usually stamped on the cases and usually consist of seven numbers):
1)   Pre 1960 Zodiac reference numbers related to case type only and consisted of three digits i.e. 699. Sometimes followed by a single letter.
2)   In the 1960 the reference numbering changed to two sets of three digits i.e. 862-910. The first two digits referred to the calibre, the third digit signified the finish on the case and the second set of three digits was the case type, just like pre 1960's.
I thought it would be good to start a data base, ordered by reference number, which would identify which watch belonged to which reference number. Before anyone bites my head off, I know Zodiac sometimes used any case back that would fit when parts ran short, so some watches had the incorrect referenced case backs from new (I have one of these). Never the less this didn't happen usually.
I think this data base could have its own tab on the site (maybe between Clebar and Forum?) and of course be controlled by the moderators. New additions (once verified) could be added by them. Verification would need at least two watches to have that reference number. Members could send their model information in along with a description and maybe even a good photograph of the watch. In this way other members could check that anything they have or intended to but was genuine, original and complete. Also the gallery may get considerably enlarged.
To this end I have attached a complete list of my collection. I have put in the reference numbers where I have them. Those in green I have two of so I am fairly sure that reference is correct. Where it is missing or not in green I either do not have it or it needs confirming by a moderator as correct? I have also indicated which page on the gallery a photograph of the watch appears. I can supply the missing photos if this takes off.
As more members supply information, so the data base will grow. It should drive more traffic to the site and expand the gallery, hopefully to the benefit or all.
I will close now and leave this post to percolate and get feedback. If it fails so be it but it might just spark a lot of interest and grow into the "go-to" list for Zodiac referencing.
Regards,

Neil

Butch

Just curious, have you subscribed to the other site?
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

ndpadgett

Butch,

No, not yet. I wasn't trying to undermine any efforts there, just trying to get a quick look up for a wider audience.

Regards,

Neil.

Butch

I did not think that at all, but I do know all that is over there, to include service manuals. But no "list".

ALL participation is welcomed here!

ndpadgett

Butch,

Okay, glad I'm not stepping on any toes. Lets see what sort of feedback my post gets and maybe it could develop from there if all are willing.

Cheers,

Neil.

YuriyV

Neil and gang!
Here is my private image collection I accumulated  :dh for last year or so using eBay lots as a source.
Hope it will be interesting for the respected audience.

ndpadgett

Yuriy,

Superb examples. This is exactly the sort of info that would benefit all. Also the pictures would be a welcome addition to the gallery.

More members need to voice their support if this is to go anywhere.

Regards,

Neil.

YuriyV

QuoteAlso the pictures would be a welcome addition to the gallery.

Weird. Every row should have two pictures. One - face of a watch. Second - case back with the number.
Do they visible?
Probably, you need to sign up to Google account to view full version of this Google Drive document?

YuriyV

BTW, Neil
I'd suggest to subscribe to the other service (Vintage Zodiacs Catalogs). There are some booklets depicting certain models with respective case numbers. So some additional information to reference.

Butch

Just a reminder on the pics... you should own that watch or have permission to use someone else's pic.

incountry

Quote from: YuriyV on July 20, 2016, 10:51:31 AM
QuoteAlso the pictures would be a welcome addition to the gallery.

Weird. Every row should have two pictures. One - face of a watch. Second - case back with the number.
Do they visible?
Probably, you need to sign up to Google account to view full version of this Google Drive document?

Nice job Yuri. I think you and Neil are onto something that would be very helpful to others. When I opened your google document it took a while to completely load on my PC but then I was able to see most of the pictures; face and case back.
:twothumbsup

ndpadgett

Thanks,

What we really need is members to offer the information and pictures they have regarding their own watches so that a reasonable data base could be started. I am willing to offer all I have and I guess Yuriy is probably willing to offer what he has, however, we need more.

If the take up looks to be enough then I guess a reasonable conversation with Butch regarding what it would take to add it to the site, after all we cannot just demand someone alters the site without proper thought regarding ongoing maintenance and their commitment. There may be perfectly good reasons what this would be a problem, I just hope not.

Come on folks show us what you have.

Regards,

Neil.

Butch

Sea Wolf is working on a site redesign any way, I would think he could incorporate this into it. I will ask him, but these things do take time, if he can do it.

How's that for a firm non-committal?

ndpadgett

:wehe
Butch,

That is great news, if Sea Wolf can do it. What is your opinion of trying to expand the Gallery? Is it there only for items that have been sold in order to give a guideline on values or could it be opened up to more (good quality) photographs from members like Yuriy? You can with pleasure use any of the photographs I have posted, if you think the quality good enough and I am willing to send more of the collection if it helps members. If Sea Wolf can create a data base then linking it to specific shots in the gallery would be really useful.

Here's hoping that something will fly.

Regards,

Neil.

Butch

There are a couple things here, let me see if I can cover them all. The Gallery was started back at the turn of the centrury when there was no info on Zodiacs. I had not even come across my first sales catalog back then. Also, back then, the Internet was much freer with information. Taking a picture off of eBay and posting it on another site was OK back then. And eBay's search function was nothing like it is today. That is where most of them came from. And back then a good digital camera, at 2 megapixels, would set you back a week's pay. Still gave you a crappy picture though, compared to today's cameras.

The Gallery really serves no purpose any longer. The pricing is out of date and the pictures suck. But they will at least give someone an idea, for free, of what they have come across. And even all the different versions of thier model, like the SW and the Jet.

As for permission to us anyone's photos posted here, we already have that. You agreed to that when you signed up to the forum. Thank you for signing up. The forum pictues are in the DB and are searchable via the search box provided someone described them well in the text. (Don't try a search on Sea Wolf though, you will not live long enough to read all of them. ;) )

BUT, you have given me an idea that I will talk to SW about. We have all the pics now, we use them randomly on the homepage. If we can make it searchable via tags it just might be able to replace the Gallery, minus the sold for price of course. But this would only be able to be used by the forum members after they register as only they can see the pictures in the forum.

Really, this site is for collectors. Though all are welcome I am not interested in eBay sellers looking to turn something over for a quick buck that they found in a yard sale. Or the heir that just got dad's prized Zodiac and now wants to know how much it is worth to make a quck buck on it. The forum is exactly what you guys are using it for, to share your knowledge on a brand that 20 years ago no one even noticed. Just look at the price they go for today.

One question to you, are you a subscriber to the catalog site? If so, then thank you. If not, as a collector you owe it to yourself to subscribe. We have never had a collector come back to me and say it sucks. AND SW has some big chanes planned for that site as well...

ndpadgett

Butch,

Thanks for that. I am glad the chat regarding the gallery has given you further ideas on it. Although your comments regarding the photograph quality on there is accurate, I find the categories useful (even though they could also use some work). The photographs that randomly appear on the home page are, as you hinted at, much better and yes if they could be categorised in the same way as the gallery (replacing it) and then linked into the serial numbers that would be stunning. I hope this helps all members and I agree with your comments regarding people wanting to use it so they can price a Zodiac before selling it. Leave the values off. Come to think of it how would accurate values be given anyway? It depends on so much (condition, model, rarity and buyer desperation but to name a few). Anyway, I hope this post and the ideas contained in it come to fruition and are enjoyed by all.

Cheers,

Neil.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign