News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

An Ebay purchase - Return or repair?

Started by PhilNobileJr, July 25, 2016, 05:04:29 PM

PhilNobileJr

Hello! Been lurking for a bit and hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

I recently grabbed a Sea Wolf from an Ebay seller as a gift for a non-watch collecting friend. Long story short - he'd get a kick out of a vintage Sea Wolf but would likely be too afraid to wear a restored or near mint model.

So I grabbed a "beater" Sea Wolf whose seller guaranteed "works and keeps time." Upon receipt I've discovered that though it seems to keep time, the hour hand is sluggish to respond to setting, while the minute hand will only move between the 7 and 8 (and occasionally swings loosely to the 12 o'clock position if I hold the watch upside down). The second hand is moving and seems to be keeping time correctly.

Shot in the dark here, but is this worth getting serviced or should I try to return this thing and cut bait? I don't want to end up spending a small fortune on repairs but if this was, say, a 100 dollar fix I won't feel like I'm flushing my cash.

Attaching a pic for the curious. (Pic is from the auction, minute hand will not go to that position at all.) Thank you for any help!

Phil

YuriyV

It is possible to fix it. Although budget looks slim for this project. Because obviously it needs parts by symptoms described. Cosmetic condition needs improvement as well. Especially the bezel.
I can help you to return movement to life, restore/replace dial, hands. Even I have spare original clasp for JB Champion bracelet. Bezel is a problem though.
But as I said, budget too slim.
On other hand, original JB Champion with correct clasp sold separately could fetch near the same amount as you paid for this lot. And you will have a watch for free :-)
I'd suggest not to return.

PhilNobileJr

Thank you for the insight! I'd love to discuss options with you. May I PM or email you about it?

YuriyV

Quote from: PhilNobileJr on July 25, 2016, 06:40:08 PM
Thank you for the insight! I'd love to discuss options with you. May I PM or email you about it?
Sure

Butch

Quote from: YuriyV on July 25, 2016, 06:16:58 PM
I can help you to return movement to life, restore/replace dial, hands. Even I have spare original clasp for JB Champion bracelet.

Yuri,

Where did you go to school for watchmaking? How long did it take? And what are your certifications? I would like to know these things before you start offering to repair watches for the forum members.

Thx, Butch
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

YuriyV

Butch,
First of all, I'd like to apologize if I violated some rules at your forum. Probably I miss something. Did not want to step at any tail. Just willing to help.
Regarding your questions. I understand your concerns.
I don't have an official diploma as watchmaker. Canada lost its last watchmaker's school several years ago. :-)
I do the trade as a hobby. But try to do it right and stay behind all work I did. Accumulating necessary skills and parts.
Studied the trade by classic books and utilizing help from watchmakers from around the world. Having some experienced fellas as a mentors and spent hundreds of hours in practice in spare time.
Now I have a practice in servicing mainly vintage Zodiacs, selling them on eBay.
Probably my work is familiar to you as you bought one Zodiac from me other day.
I stepped in this topic and offered help because the guy had some conditions obviously out of interest of professional watchmakers.
Leaving decisions at your consideration and will understand any output.
Cheers
Yuriy

Butch

I have not bought a Zodiac in almost 2 years. Please send me that auction link.

So then, you area a self taught hobbiest then?

YuriyV

>I have not bought a Zodiac in almost 2 years. Please send me that auction link.
Yes, it was in 2015 if memory serves me right. Zodiac Incasecurit.

>So then, you area a self taught hobbiest then?
Exactly. I'm software developer by main occupation. And do watchmaking as hobby/sideline business.

Butch

If you are vakulenko_69, then I stand corrected sir. I had to get home and go back through my records as my phone is not very conducive to that. I do see an eBay offer made and accepted for an Incasecurit in August of 2015. My records also indicate it went out to BWG right after I received it but I did not record why. It could just be that I sent it to him for a restore as I like my watches to look as good as possible.

It is not that you violated any rule, it is just that I have had more than one person contact me about your offers and they ask my opinion of you and them. I have nothing to offer them other than you are what I thought you were, a self taught hobbyist. NOTHING wrong with that either. You are a braver soul than I! But when people start thinking you are BWG then I have a problem, and that is what they ask me as well.

One of the things that has always been a great consternation to all of the BWGs throughout the years is that someone sends them a watch to be fixed and it turns out that a million people, some even certified watchmakers that can't fix Zodiacs, have been inside it and buggered it all to hell. Now a simple service turns into an expensive nightmare, not only for the customer but to BWG as well.

I am not saying that is you, just my experience speaking. So, if you want to PM someone and offer to help, I am fine with that. Please be sure to tell them that you are not BWG though, just someone offering to help. BWG does not solicit in the forum.

Let me close with this with the following, I am very appreciative of your participation in the forum and I hope my honesty does not deter that going forward.

YuriyV

Quote from: Butch on July 27, 2016, 04:15:10 PM
If you are vakulenko_69, ...
That is correct.

QuotePlease be sure to tell them that you are not BWG though, just someone offering to help.
Definitely.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign