News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac Aerospace GMT - redial / frankenwatch?

Started by wristshotnomatterwhat, August 30, 2016, 12:54:55 PM

wristshotnomatterwhat

Hey everyone, I happen to have this GMT from my early Zodiac collecting period (and some questions about its dial)

Except from the discoloration on the bezel the watch is in a pretty nice condition, but the dial is problematic:
- No Aerospace GMT marking
- The "Automatic" marking is under the Zodiac logo, not in the lower section of the dial

My first impression is that it's either a poor dial transplant or a redial, but I'd like to have your opinion on this.

Thanks!

Nomadgi

Mmm - Script looks genuine, but as you say 'Automatic' in wrong place and no 'Aerospace GMT'. Hands and bezel indicate a later model. I'd hazard its a redial, but leave it to others for expert opinion. Looks nice though!

jmh86325

incountry

That is the second dial I have seen like that on an Aerospace GMT. I purchased my GMT in a PX in Vietnam in 1968 and a few years later I asked my father to bring it in to a jeweler to have it serviced (it had some condensation in it and it was not keeping correct time).  When I received it back from the jeweler I saw that the dial and the hands had been changed. Because of the distance between us I decided not to make a fuss over it and continued to use it as it was. I have since had it restored to its original appearance but for some time it was truly a Frankenwatch!   :rofl

wristshotnomatterwhat

Thanks for all the help guys!

Hmm this dial change is quite puzzling, the one you had on your GMT and mine are absolutely identical. Is this some kind of generic Zodiac dial that was used for servicing at the time?

(your GMT looks really cool now, indeed it used to be quite the frankenwatch :) )

incountry

I have searched through the Zodiac catalogs on the other site (zodiaccatalogs.com) but I could not find a watch that had a dial face that looked like the one on our GMT's.  It will just remain a mystery until someone digs up the answer! :dh

wristshotnomatterwhat

Indeed, maybe one of our expert here could give us a hand? (Butch do you know anything about this dial mix-up?)

Thanks!

Butch

My GUESS is it was from the factory and was used during repairs. It is obviously a GMT dial because of the markers. Maybe they just had blanks and did a minimal printing for cheaper repair purposes.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

wristshotnomatterwhat

Thanks for the help!
That would makes sense since both our watches received the same dial. Actually I find it gives the watch a little bit of an original twist.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign