News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Early Sea Wolf ad - yet unknown (?)

Started by Mugea, February 01, 2017, 10:54:32 AM

Mugea

First post here, so some words about me: I'm Martin from Germany and I'm a collector of vintage watches mostly Hamiltons, but also some Gruens, Bulovas, German Watches – but also Zodiacs. Currently I own three Zodiacs: a Chronograph from the early 50s (with a Landeron 48 movement), a triple date moon calendar Automatic and a Sea Wolf (the latter will arrive in some days. Hopefully).

I'll post photos of my Zodiacs, if somebody is interested in.

Anyway: just wanted to show an early Sea Wolf advertisement I haven't seen before:

This ad is contained in the file wrapper of USPTO:

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=72096304&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Explanation: this is the file wrapper of US trademark No. 72096304 "Sea Wolf". The USPTO is asking owners of trademarks from time to time to proof use of the trademark in commerce in the US. Conseqeuntly, a trademark owner has to file specimen of items marked with the trademark, as well as advertising material and the like.

Such files are a lesser known source of information. Provided, the trademark still is in force, you'll find historical material of use of a trademark over decades.

In this case: a nice early ad – maybe the earliest ad for the Sea Wolf in the US, maybe?

Check the file (go to "documents", then select "all" and download the complete file as pdf): there's also an early specimen of a Sea Wolf dial – the early one without the triangles.

Best regards

Martin

Butch

Thanks Mugea. I am going to let you guys run with this. I did look at some of the docs and see Fossil was trying to get the name back in '03. I was told by a Fossil rep lat year, or the year before, that the name is currently owned by Omega though and that is why their new one is not called Sea Wolf.

<shrug>
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Mugea

Hi Butch,

well, the current owner of the trademark Sea Wolf (as well as of the trademark Zodiac) is a company Montres Antima S.A. in Switzerland. Said company belongs to the Fossil Group. So, Fossil still owns the trademarks of Zodiac - including Sea Wolf. So, there's (currently) no transfer of the trademark to Omega.

Regards

Martin

Butch

Thanks. I just checked and they are using that name now. Sorry, not a line I follow.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Sea Wolf

They do not use Sea Wolf on the current model dials.
Only the 68 has Super Sea Wolf on the dial.

This is how they use it now:
SUPER SEA WOLF 53:  Smaller like the Vintage Sea Wolf
SUPER SEA WOLF 68:  Larger model like Vintage Super Sea Wolf's
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Mugea

Well, I just wanted to present an early Sea Wolf ad and to point to the possibilities, what information could be in files of the USPTO. What watches are labeled "Sea Wolf" today ..... not my field of interest, to be honest.

Anyway: is this early SW ad known? I was quite surprised of it, especially by some keynotes, like "Introducing" and "Zodiac Watch Agency". Maybe the earliest ad published in the US?

Regards
Martin

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign