News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac GMT Automatic, can't figure out which model this is??

Started by hifigirl26, March 03, 2017, 11:56:20 AM

hifigirl26

Hi All!  I recently came upon a Zodiac GMT Automatic that I'd like to surprise my husband with, but for the life of me (& the interweb search engines), I can't figure out when this one came out or what model it is!  Has a zodiac 70-72 21j movement, and the caseback has 752 934 engraved under the Zodiac logo.  The face and bezel looks a lot like an Aerospace GMT, with the exception of the "Aerospace" written on the face??? Pics below if anyone can help a girl out and identify this guy! 😊

YuriyV

It is known as "Frankenwatch". I.e. altered original model.
In this particular specimen, the case, hands and crown were  taken from Zodiac Aerospace GMT with Bakelite bezel (model #752 934). The 21j Zodiac 70-72 movement came from high grade automatic Zodiac costume watch (presumably chronometer). It is why there is no 24h hand on the face.
Horrible repainted GMT dial  with wrong writings and altered markers.
I'd pass on this.

YuriyV

For reference, here is a right Aerospace GMT black dial from VZ forum's gallery (low resolution but you can have the idea):

Butch

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

YuriyV

hifigirl26

Thanks for the input.  Weird that someone would take the time to modify such a relatively affordable watch from that era.  Also, the 24 hour hand is there, it's hard to see in the face pic.  I appreciate your help!

YuriyV

Ah, I see it now. In this case they just replaced the standard rotor from original 17j Zodiac 75 movement to 21j 70-72. It is the same rotor. Just different writings.

Nomadgi

That dial is so wrong. Good luck with finding something better!

Nomadgi

And the 24hr hand should be just after the 2 or 8 position on the inner dial if the 12 hr hands read 4.30/16.30.

jon p

DONT BUY IT, it is totally WRONG as others have pointed out also. where is the seller located, INDIA????? I have seen a lot of WRONG "made up "zodiacs come from that part of the world!  even the LUME dots on the dial are not correct.  :#Censored :SB:  run away very fast and do not look back.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign