News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Help with Astrographic date setting lever

Started by Gonzowatchmaker, June 05, 2017, 07:57:18 AM

Gonzowatchmaker

Hi there,
I hope this is the correct place to post this question.
I recently bought an astrographic in need of TLC. The crystal was cracked and the stem kept coming out. I have fixed both these things, but while putting the date mechanism back together I found it isn't working either. Would anyone have photograph of the Astrographic Calibre 88 showing the date setting lever etc.?
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Nick

Butch

Someone here may help with that. The service manual for that model is on the other site too.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Gonzowatchmaker

Thanks Butch,
I looked at the other site, but the only service manual I saw showed how to remove the crystal, and the discs. Am I missing something?
Thanks again
nick

YuriyV

Caliber 88 is a member of Zodiac 68 family. Date mechanism is the same for 68,70-72,72,78 and 88. You can refer to specification of any of these.
What is wrong with your date module? What are the symptoms?

Butch

That would be the 36,000 service manual on the same page.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Gonzowatchmaker

Quote from: YuriyV on June 05, 2017, 09:15:22 AM
Caliber 88 is a member of Zodiac 68 family. Date mechanism is the same for 68,70-72,72,78 and 88. You can refer to specification of any of these.
What is wrong with your date module? What are the symptoms?

The date jumper doesn't seem to move the date wheel along. I am worried I have reassembled it incorrectly.

Gonzowatchmaker

Quote from: Butch on June 05, 2017, 05:20:34 PM
That would be the 36,000 service manual on the same page.

Apologies Butch. I had gone straight for the one with the Astrographic on the cover.

YuriyV

Quote from: Gonzowatchmaker on June 05, 2017, 06:38:44 PM
The date jumper doesn't seem to move the date wheel along. I am worried I have reassembled it incorrectly.
If it was working before disassemble, likely you mismatched screws. Feel free to publish a picture of calendar side with good visibility of all components. Probably we can spot something.

Gonzowatchmaker

Quote from: YuriyV on June 05, 2017, 07:05:57 PM
If it was working before disassemble, likely you mismatched screws. Feel free to publish a picture of calendar side with good visibility of all components. Probably we can spot something.

The truth is that I don't know if it was working as I got the watch with the stem loose as the setting lever was broken. I really appreciate your help and will post some pictures later. Thanks again.

Gonzowatchmaker

Quote from: YuriyV on June 05, 2017, 07:05:57 PM

Thanks YuriyV. Here is a picture of the offending object. I have removed the date jumper spring for safe keeping. The two parts circled in Green are the ones I am struggling with.
thankagain for your help.

YuriyV

1. First of all I noticed a huge piece of fiber near the hour wheel (1). Don't forget to remove it;
2. All screws look like sit on correct places as on me;
3. Noticed suspicious appearance of the Unlocking yoke of the date indicator (part #2632/1).
On the picture it looks not right. I suspect it misses the spring loaded jumper. From the face view, a small tip of the jumper should be visible. Compare with my Zodiac 68 (see attached picture). I don't see the tip on your picture (2).

Gonzowatchmaker

I can't thank you enough for the trouble you are taking to help me. Really.

You may have nailed the problem here. There is no sign of that piece (part #2632/1). I know I never removed it. I can only assume someone lost it in the past.
I have managed to source one from my supplier here in the uK. I hate to ask, but when I receive it, would you be able to show me where it has to go?
Thanks again.

YuriyV

Actually the part 2632/1 is complete assembly. It is impossible to lost any constituent unless the part is broken.
Please remove the intermediate date wheel (part 2543). You can see it above the yoke. Then unscrew the yoke's screw (part #52632) and remove the yoke. Examine its integrity from the back side. It should look like on my above picture. Or publish a picture here.
We have to make sure the yoke needs replacement before ordering a new part.
BTW, here is the yoke on eBay: 201704927666
It is a good price.

Gonzowatchmaker

Quote from: YuriyV on June 09, 2017, 03:17:17 PM
Actually the part 2632/1 is complete assembly. It is impossible to lost any constituent unless the part is broken.
Please remove the intermediate date wheel (part 2543). You can see it above the yoke. Then unscrew the yoke's screw (part #52632) and remove the yoke. Examine its integrity from the back side. It should look like on my above picture. Or publish a picture here.
We have to make sure the yoke needs replacement before ordering a new part.
BTW, here is the yoke on eBay: 201704927666
It is a good price.

Thanks so much YuriyV. Please don't think I was rude not replying to you sooner. I was on a motorcycle trip with no internet all of last week so apologies.
It also meant I didn't receive your message before I ordered the new part. As it turns out, my yoke was broken as you will see in the picture. However, the new part doesn't seem quite right. The arbour seems quite a bit thicker than the one in your picture.

YuriyV

Hope the trip went well!

>However, the new part doesn't seem quite right. The arbour seems quite a bit thicker than the one in your picture.

New yoke is correct. It is modification for date quick set model as on your Zodiac 88.
Install it without hesitation.
Mine yoke is from Zodiac 68. It has no quick set feature.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign