News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Zodiac Kingline NOS

Started by Cobber, August 29, 2018, 04:37:34 PM

Cobber

Well that didn't take long.  Just became aware of this particular model a short time ago and have been looking for a good example.  An Italian dealer on Chrono24 listed this as NOS/unworn. 
Received it today and I'm pretty exited by it.  I'm going to drop it off for what will hopefully be a basic movement service. 

Dates to approx 1978, the tail end of the Calame era, and I'm sure the oil could use some attention at the very least.  Other than that, I have to admit this appears never worn.  Bracelet is stiff and not a single mark from storage or otherwise.
I've got permission from the seller to use his photos so I'm not going to bother taking any as they're pretty good for giving a clear view of the watch.

I'll provide some more thoughts once I get it back and have had a chance to wear it a bit.

Butch

Wow, some VZ Team Member. This is in the 1977 Spanish catalog. It was made during a time where the watches were once again moving to a smaller size (ref: 1940's Hermetics). This trend continues in the 1984 catalog, along with the all black anodized models.  :no not me  I hated those black monstrosities.

In order to make this small automatic watch they recycled the movements from the ladies automatic watches in the 60's and 70's and used them in this model.

Nice example. Like tanks, not for everyone.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Cobber

Thanks, I was curious about the movement.  It dawned on me while searching for this model, not due to size, but the lack of a seconds hand, that this probably wouldn't contain either the high beat or chronometer movement seen in earlier Kingline models.
Size measurement really doesn't translate to the actual perception on this model.  It wears a bit larger than I was thinking it would.  Not really good or bad just peculiar.  Maybe not so strange to people accustomed to tanks but definitely odd to me.  This thing weighs a significant amount (possible due to still having all its links) and doesn't have the slim bracelet look I thought it would have. 
The heavy bracelet integrates with the clam shell case at almost it's full 30mm width and tapers down I'm estimating to about 16mm.
I'm hoping this is what will give the look on wrist I was hoping for. 
The 80's versions were constructed a bit differently and, at least in the catalog available to us, were only available with a quartz movement.  They were called the New Kingline and of course don't have this one's bad ass bracelet.;)
The pictures actually show way more detail then what is evident in person.  The gold screws hardly contrast with the bezel.  I thought they were going to be a lot more noticeable.  Again, not good or bad, just unexpected.

In any case, many thanks to Butch and team for providing the reference materials that helped me so much in identifying and purchasing this piece.

Butch

Yes, the 80's watches were yet another evolution. Kortz was a big thing then and very expensive.

Thanks for sharing this find with the community Cobber!

Dowantwatches

Very nice, and that bracelet is fabulous!

Cobber

Well, I couldn't resist.  Went ahead and sized it before taking it in.  Snapped some quick pics before leaving.  This thing wears way larger than the case width dimension would have you believe.  Most be a combination of the case height vs width  and the wide bracelet.  The thinness definitely helps keep it a little in check as well.
Was actually hoping for something a little more discreet but I got to say, I'm really really digging it.  Nothing else like it in my collection.
:pimp;

Butch

That looks a lot bigger than I would have thought given the actual dimensions.

YuriyV

Cobber

Thanks guys, I'm curious what these sold for new.  I suspect quite a bit.  The finish quality is pretty high and fairly nuanced. 

- Crystal has a fine/crisp precise bevel that runs the perimeter.  The seat for the crystal has a taupey/gold hue.  I don't know if that's just the natural reflection of the light through the crystal's bevel or if it's lined with something.  I don't know what the crystal is made out of but definitely doesn't feel like plastic.

- Bezel finishing is brushed on top in the direction of the length of each side and transitions direction perfectly at each corner of the octagonal shape.  The sides of the bezel are high polished.  The gold polished hexagonal screws may or may not hold it to the case but work fairly well as the hour markers.  Time keeping is more of a casual effort here than a precise one but the hexagonal screw shape is definitely a better choice than round ones.

- Dial is a deep rather rich flat black with applied/polished logo, brand, and date wheel trim.  Everything else is printed and extremely concise with a flat finish.  Date wheel has black numbers possibly engraved on a metallic gold back ground but is almost useless.  I need a magnifying glass to read it.  It does add some nice visual texture.  The crimson red dot is glossy, sits proud of the dial, and has a surprising amount of presence considering how absolutely tiny it is.  Hands are polished.

- Bracelet surface and sides are all brushed in the same direction and give off a nice rich glow.  Brushing continues in the same direction along the length of the case back where it integrates with the bracelet.  Clasp is very tight and takes a surprising amount of effort to release.  The solid links themselves fit together very impressively and have no negative slop to them.

All in all I'm pretty impressed with this piece.  I went out on a limb purchasing this as I have nothing else like it in my collection and really had no idea how it would wear.  I thought it would make for a cool perhaps funky alternative to a typical watch that could be worn in certain circumstances.  However, what I got has a hell of a lot more elegance, quality, wrist presence, and occasion flexibility than I bargained for.  Quite a balance for a shot in the dark.  In person the design doesn't scream seventies as much as it does grade which I'd place at a pretty high level.  The comfort and wear-ability easily overshadow its design era which may be a good or bad thing depending on one's perspective.
:SB: :#rant :wehe

Anyhow, time to focus on work.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign