News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Service dial and General Repair Questions

Started by elnino43, July 08, 2019, 04:36:33 PM

elnino43

Just got a 60's Aerospace GMT. Couple questions

-Did they ever make service dials in the 90's for these watches? The logo appears to be of the newer style writing on the new reissues but its impossible its a new dial since its a 36mm and the new ones are much larger. Its also a sunburst gray dial I have never seen before on a aerospace gmt. Usually I have only seen them in black or white/silverfish. Its a pepsi bezel.

- Are many of the parts from the Seawolf interchangeable with the GMT? for example the mainspring etc.
I hear parts are hard to come by, is it true. Even a mainspring? Is it hard to source parts and any tips?

Butch

Why don't you post a pic?

Ah! This sounds like a 1990's kortz model. What is the number on the back? Yes, parts are very hard to come by. Some parts may interchangeable in the movement when they are the same caliber.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Butch

Thanks. Much better pics. I believe this to be an all original 70's model (except for the crown of course). While I don't recall a gray dial it is certainly possible. He said it is not faded black.

Cobber

Wow, that's one of the best condition Pepsi bezels I've ever seen.  Also, never seen the grey dial before but gotta say I find it more appealing than the black.  I think a professional could probably improve the fit of the end pieces on the beads of rice bracelet a bit.  Nice combo.

Ultra-Vintage

I can never say 100% until I have something in hand, but I am pretty sure that is refinished.  Multiple aspects of the print are not correct.

Butch

My apologies folks. Looks like I was wrong and hasty. Or hasty and wrong? Don't get old, you patience is the first to go.

I talked with BWG and he has a red/blue model with a black dial that he is going to post a pic of so that we can do a side by side comparison. In all the catalogs throughout the years they only offered a black or white dial model. I should have stuck with that.

Ultra-Vintage

Here are 3 examples of original GMT dials that I quickly grabbed out of a parts drawer.  The differences between the gray dial and these are numerous, but the 2 most important things to spot on this one:

1. No printed window around the date, instead minute marks through the window.  Minute track is totally incorrect

2. Although they got the overall styling of the writing correct (which many refinishes do not), the printing is way too thick.  This is common with dial refinishes, as they are essentially a "one of" whereas manufacturing can turn out hundreds of identical dials

YuriyV

It was white GMT dial. Refinished in black/gray color. I think some of black paint is visible on markers (indication of redial).
White dial has sunburst pattern. That explains its presence on this specimen.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign