News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

New Kingline

Started by Cobber, February 11, 2020, 10:19:19 PM

Cobber

The gold bezel Kingline below is my newest addition.  The dial on this one matches the '77 catalog examples and doesn't actually carry the Kingline moniker as the steel bezel one does.  Not sure of exact reason for this but Zodiac was still producing the more traditional round  case Kingline and possibly others in '76 and perhaps didn't want to have yet another watch sitting on shelves all with the same name and looking nothing like one another. 

I believe it's fair to say this model debuted in '76 due to the fact it's not in the '75 catalog and there's a press release for the '76 Basel fair I came across on the swisstime.ch website that shows the stingray strap and dial version of this watch (I tried linking but the host website doesn't seem to allow this for some reason, anyone interested in seeing it just use the search function on the website).  In the '77 catalog I don't believe there's a single model that actually says Kingline on the dial.  However this model is listed as the Kingline.  Later models, such as my steel bezel shown below, do actually say Kingline on the dial.

The dates are interesting to me as it's been often described that many watch companies at this time were introducing new models to be marketed as steel sport/lifestyle watches, somewhat in the vein of Vacheron's 222 from '72. 
Both Patek with it's Nautilus and IWC with it's  Ingenieur SL came out in '76, the same year as the new Kingline, all with integrated model specific bracelets.  There are not a lot of specs available for the Kingline but the Basel ad does state that its waterproof.

I believe the main purpose for the Kingline of this era was Zodiac's attempt at "keeping up with the Joneses".  Notable is that it appears to have been available with automatic and quartz movements early on as well as differing leather straps.  There's a version with a stingray dial and strap combo, the two shown below and a few others.  Also, It's apparent Zodiac had high hopes for this model as they put it on the front cover of the '77 catalog.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the front cover of the '76 catalog as well (would be nice if one ever surfaces). 

This is just my opinion but I don't think Zodiac's intention with this model was to use up smaller less expensive movements that would otherwise have been used in some women's watches as well as more traditional "tank" style and smaller men's cases.  I'm going out on a limb here but I suspect the cost of designing, prototyping, and manufacturing of all the proprietary components involved with this model would outweigh the cost benefit of available movements that would fit the case.  In other words, I think the lack of economy of scale likely outweighs the cost advantage of designing a complete new model from the ground up for the sole benefit of using a potentially less expensive movement. 

I don't know if it pertains to my particular gold bezel model but I did come across a parts watch that described the bezel as being solid gold.  I have no idea if the person listing the watch was mistaken but I would like to find out if it's true and if all "gold" bezel Kingline models of this era were solid gold or just some.

YuriyV

Butch

THAT is an example of Zodiac marketing ingenuity. As watches got smaller in the 80's Zodiacs made that model reusing automatic movements from women's watches in the 60's and 70's. It cost them virtually nothing to churn them out and they were very popular.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Cobber

Yuri,

LOL, was trying to post this from my phone last night.  I'm going to go back and redo the whole thing.  Couldn't get text to go through and photos went in upside down.

Cobber

Quote from: Butch on February 12, 2020, 07:39:09 AM
THAT is an example of Zodiac marketing ingenuity. As watches got smaller in the 80's Zodiacs made that model reusing automatic movements from women's watches in the 60's and 70's. It cost them virtually nothing to churn them out and they were very popular.

Not quite sure I agree with this.  I'm in the process of editing my post as I couldn't get text to post and photos uploaded upside down.  Probably had something to do with my phone.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign