News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

ZODIAC DATOGRAPHIC CHRONOMETRE

Started by size11s, March 08, 2020, 05:42:31 AM

size11s

Hi all, first post here and I am afraid a little selfish.  I know little of Zodiac watches, collecting mainly SmithS watches and a few military.  I recently bought a large lot of watches, mainly for some SmithS that were in the lot.  I was very pleasantly surprised to find a Zodiac Datographic Chronometre in the lot, working AS1361N 21 jewels, 7 adj in it (lovely!).  Case ref 693, I would say rose gold capped rather than plated, 35mm exc crown with numbers between the lugs 1170534 (1?).  The dial is a little discoloured particularly around the logo and the crown is certainly non original.  The back is quite worn but has the scales on it.

So, I am tempted to keep it and possibly sell some of the others I was thinking to keep to cover costs, as I do have a fondness for 50's watches (most of my SmithS are late 40's, early 50's, and it isn't one you see every day for sure.  Could I ask a few questions to the more experienced eyes here.

Firstly, are the hands and applied indices (quite Omega Constellation like) gold as they don't show any tarnishing?  Is it possible to find 'correct' replacement crowns for this model?  I don't mind the patina too much but I do appreciate as much originality as possible.  I haven't put a strap on it and tried it on yet but I am thinking that it would be a nice, if odd, addition to my small collection.  Opinions and advice very welcome.
Cheers from the UK.
Mark

Ultra-Vintage

Hi Mark.  I have had examples of that model in the shop a few times, but it is obviously a pretty rare one especially in pink.  One I have seen in person was rose, the others yellow.  I do not think that the markers are solid gold, but I could be wrong.  Many of the companies had gotten away from the solid markers by the time that was made due to cost.  If the case were solid gold I would see it as more of a possibility, but not in its current configuration.  The rose one I serviced years ago had bright rose markers and hands too, and was like yours rose and steel.  Definitely worth keeping, much more rare than many of its competing models in Switzerland (Conquest, Constellation, etc).

:sm3

Ultra-Vintage

Pink Zodiac signed crowns are not easy to come by as they had so few models that came in that color.

size11s

Thank you very much for your reply.  Agreed it would be unusual to find gold hands and indices on a non solid gold watch but I wondered about gold capped rather than plated, kind of falling between the two.  Given the condition of the dial I would have expected a bit of discolouration somewhere, but as you say they are very likely gilt.  I have been keeping it running for a couple of days and it keeps very good time (bit naughty I know as I don't know the service history).  I have ordered a strap for it and will wear it for a week or so to see if I will keep it and therefore get it serviced.  I will also have a quick look for a more suitable generic crown.  It is a solid feeling, quality watch and is a lovely surprise.

Thanks again for your time to reply.

size11s

Would anyone know the specs of the winding stem for this movement to help find a crown please.  Much appreciated.

Ultra-Vintage

The stem for the AS 1361 should be a tap 10, and would be stem 200/65F

size11s

Great, thank you very much for that.  Nice website by the way, some lovely watches and restorations.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: size11s on March 11, 2020, 01:07:27 PM
Great, thank you very much for that.  Nice website by the way, some lovely watches and restorations.

Thank you, I appreciate that.  Always adding more restorations and projects on there  :sm3

size11s

Out of interest, as a watchmaker experienced with the highly adjusted AS 1361N, how do you think it compares to the Omega Constellation 5XX calibres of the similar period?  Are they relatively easy to bring back to chronometer rating?  I have had a couple of vintage Constellations many years ago and found that they didn't reach such high accuracy even after servicing.  Of course that could be me not specifically requesting such a degree of timing during service (not Omega obviously).  I am guessing that as it is an AS calibre parts shouldn't be too much of a problem sourcing, if needed.

I found the same dial online from a sale in 2012 in a beautiful 18kt case, see pic.  Do you think the cyclops on the crystal is original?  I hope not as I can't bear them.  This watch gave me a great pic of the original crown but I don't hold out much hope of finding one.

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: size11s on March 13, 2020, 03:43:35 AM
Out of interest, as a watchmaker experienced with the highly adjusted AS 1361N, how do you think it compares to the Omega Constellation 5XX calibres of the similar period?  Are they relatively easy to bring back to chronometer rating?  I have had a couple of vintage Constellations many years ago and found that they didn't reach such high accuracy even after servicing.  Of course that could be me not specifically requesting such a degree of timing during service (not Omega obviously).  I am guessing that as it is an AS calibre parts shouldn't be too much of a problem sourcing, if needed.

I found the same dial online from a sale in 2012 in a beautiful 18kt case, see pic.  Do you think the cyclops on the crystal is original?  I hope not as I can't bear them.  This watch gave me a great pic of the original crown but I don't hold out much hope of finding one.

I do not think that crystal is correct.  I have seen the vintage Datographics with cyclops style crystals, but the cyclops was smaller like the size of the date window itself.  Not 3 times its size, that is a generic one that they paired it up with.  The 1361 is a well made movement, and parts are very plentiful.  In good condition with a proper service and new mainspring it could be chronometre level again. 

size11s

I agree, it is a horrible cyclops and must be an ill chosen replacement.  Thanks again for the info and your help.  I have the watch on a 'period' strap now and will wear it a little while.
Cheers
Mark

Ultra-Vintage

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign