News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

How can you tell if your Zodiac has a radium lume?

Started by rd270, August 03, 2020, 09:01:13 AM

rd270

Hello, I've recently acquired a 60s/70s Zodiac Sea Wolf in a non-datographic model with a black dial and light blue bakelite bezel. At the 6 o'clock position, it reads "Swiss". As the title states, how can I tell if this is radium or a tritium lumed watch?

rd270

Butch

Unknown to me. Later models had a T next to the SWISS though t designate it used Tritium. It is nothing to worry about though as the crystal and case protects the wearer. Even a piece of paper could block the radiation of the luminescencent paint that was used. Radium paint was totally phased out by the Swiss watch industry in 1968.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

rd270

Quote from: Butch on August 03, 2020, 09:14:17 AM
Unknown to me. Later models had a T next to the SWISS though t designate it used Tritium. It is nothing to worry about though as the crystal and case protects the wearer. Even a piece of paper could block the radiation of the luminescencent paint that was used. Radium paint was totally phased out by the Swiss watch industry in 1968.

Thanks for the quick response! I am also unsure, since I have seen a similar one being sold by Hodinkee, but they claimed tritium was being used. I couldn't verify, since their pictures did not show what was below the 6.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign