News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Sea Wolf Date Problem (Help)

Started by cisco, December 03, 2020, 05:40:51 AM

cisco

Hey everyone,
I recently purchased a vintage Sea Wolf (722-916) that I wanted for years, and paid a lot for.
After receiving it, I sent it to my vintage watch guy for cleaning and service. Upon it's return to me, the watch looked amazing and kept good time, I wore it continuously from the 29th of October until the 27th of November (and I enjoyed every moment of it) where the date suddenly stopped changing. The date window is stuck on the 27th and won't move or change by itself, I fear that the maybe the date wheel might broke? but how? is it even fixable? If anyone can shed any light on my situation it will be greatly appreciated.

Butch

I imagine it could be that. Or many other things I would guess. It is a 40+ year old watch, things happen. My watch guy would have tried to make sure that did not happen with a service, but if it did he would make it right. Have you checked with your guy? It should be easy and quick to fix and shouldn't cost you anything.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

cisco

Yes, The service has warranty and my watch guy already has the watch... But I just don't know what to expect, can a broken date wheel be repaired? hopefully it's an easy fix just like you said.

Ultra-Vintage

There are several things that can cause the Date to not advance.  Issues with the jumper, the spring, clearance of the date wheel itself, damage to the drive wheel, etc etc.  If the date wheel itself has an issue (broken tooth, marred tooth, or other) that is causing it to not advance, it is best to just replace it.  The date wheels are brass, and although they could be repaired, most attempts I have seen at doing so were poorly executed and it would have been better to just replace it with another original as they are still plentiful.

Grossisten

Congratulations on finding the watch you were searching for.

Vintage Watches are like vintage cars. They take time, money and care to keep running. But few things modern beat the feeling of driving/wearing them.

cisco

Thank you for your replies, I own several vintage pieces but never had any issues such as this especially after a service. Hopefully, the watch will be fixed by next week and I will update you on what went wrong.

cisco

UPDATE:
My watchmaker contacted and sent me a picture (I am not that familiar with movement parts) and he said that the date unlock spring broke. He said he needs to source for this part in order to fix it, or maybe make one? Anyway, he said it would take a few days.

Butch

Welcome to the wonderful world of Zodiac Collecting, where parts are often hard to come by. At least he sounds positive though!
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

cisco

Does anyone know if caliber 70-72 and caliber 75 share the same movement parts?

jmh86325

UV, is a 2576 the date jumper he needs?

cisco

Quote from: jmh86325 on December 07, 2020, 05:58:07 PM
UV, is a 2576 the date jumper he needs?

2633, I found one for sale, but it's from caliber 75, still trying to figure out if it's gonna fit 70-72

jmh86325

YuriyV

They are same for all date models: 68, 70, 72, 72B, 70-72, 75, 78, 76, 86,, 88

cisco

Quote from: YuriyV on December 08, 2020, 12:58:19 AM
They are same for all date models: 68, 70, 72, 72B, 70-72, 75, 78, 76, 86,, 88
Thank you!

Ultra-Vintage

As Yuri said, they are the same for those models.  However, 2633 is the spring for the date jumper (often referred to as the Unlock Indicator Yoke Spring in some texts).  2632 is the date jumper itself

cisco

Quote from: Ultra-Vintage on December 08, 2020, 09:51:05 AM
As Yuri said, they are the same for those models.  However, 2633 is the spring for the date jumper (often referred to as the Unlock Indicator Yoke Spring in some texts).  2632 is the date jumper itself
Yes, my bad, he meant the unlock yoke spring. as you can see in the image it snapped. I sure did learn a lot about date movement parts these past few days...

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign