News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

How much do you think this is worth?

Started by Yankees76, December 09, 2009, 07:12:11 PM

Yankees76

Hey this is my first post here, I've just started my search for vintage Zodiacs. I just found a seller near where I live. What do you think this is worth?

It has a slight scratch on the crystal and an aftermarket band. The seller claims it's working fine.

It's the same Guardsman as is pictured on this site
http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/gallery/guardsman.php

Any help is appreciated!!

Butch

You are asking a very tough crowd here. I say $50-100 as it has not been serviced lately and has no warranty. This is not a popular model so the resale on it is not great. The first thing you will have to do is pay to have it serviced as the service history is unknown. See the Watch Repair section for an explanation why.

FWIW, that is one of my favorite models and I love the hour markers.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Yankees76

Thanks Butch! I'm in the process of finding out the service history - if any. The seller is a collector, so who knows. Since this would be my first vintage Zodiac if I decide to go after it, I figure it's a nice start, but I didn't want to get hosed on it either :)

BTW - when do you think this watch was made?

Butch

Hosed? I have paid almost $300 for a watch that did not work and I had no idea what it would cost to get it restored. I have paid $125 for watch that was all apart in a tin. The value is determined by the buyer. Just realize that a service is required every 3-5 years. If this is from a dead guy (estate sale) it may have been 20+ years since the last service. And most importantly, if you like it, and get it for the price you want to pay for it, then buy it. You cannot get hosed this way.

Yankees76

Cool. Well I appreciate the help - and I agree, if you like something enough you go for it. However like all hobbies, there's always the risk of paying more than something is worth when you first start out. I'm still learning.  ;D

Butch

There is NOTHING wrong with being frugal my friend. My wife wishes I were more so.

I forgot to answer your other question. It is not in my 1966 nor 1971 catalog. Best guess is that this is from the late 60's based on the hands and hour markers. Back then, like cars, watch models changed often, if not yearly.

Yankees76

I feel your pain! Mine is the same way ;) Thanks again for the info.

Yankees76

I offered $75, citing scratches, aftermarket "leather" band and lack of service history. He's asking for $175 and his communication is less than stellar. So I'm letting it go and looking for a model with more long term value - we're simply too far apart on this one, and I think he's overvalued it. I suppose he thinks he'll get more than $75 on ebay...

It's up on ebay now - item #220526493023.

If anyone on here picks it up - let me know. I'm more curious now to see what would have been needed with regards to servicing it and what it will look like afterwards!

jon p

;D ;D i agree,$75.00 would be top dollar for this one! another $75. to $100.00 to clean, replace crystal,etc.lets watch it and see what it does.   JON

Butch

You called it Yank, he should have taken you up on your offer. It sold for $40 and $18 shipping.

Is it me or do these eBay sellers think they have gold for sale lately? I mean, it is not like they are selling (most of them anyway!) a RESTORED Zodiac. After we buy it we still have to go through that expense.

Yankees76

Yep, I had a little chuckle when I saw that.  ;D I would have even driven to meet him to pick it up. Oh well.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign