News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Early Zodiac Regulator

Started by Butch, February 06, 2010, 07:43:14 AM

Butch

This is a quick post and a quick picture of my regulator that I got back from BWG today. I was able to win this one recently. This is only the 3rd Zodiac Regulator I have ever come across. (2 of the 3 were in 2009 and I bought both. More on no. 2 later.)

The only indication of its age is a service mark from 1944. Another interesting thing is the back was double stamped, at the factory, just like what happens to some coins in a mint. If we ever see the sun again I will take better pics and post them in My Watches.

Yeah, a little excited and just wanted to share guys! And no, the bezel is NOT missing and I cannot dive with it.  ;)

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

that IS a COOL watch-i have never seen one like it ! very unusual dial arrangement--would take a second to see what time it is, kinda the same brain training as a 24 hr dial.

Butch

Here is a picture of the first one I ever saw back in 2001. I think it had been redialed along the way. I was outbid on it.

Crownguard

Butch,
Quite a nice watch of serious intent designwise which gives it a naive appeal. Kind of like a moonphase watch which is so desirable and so seriously designed and yet so naive (i.e., what is the real utility of such a feature?).
Crownguard

Butch

The regulator, often called a Doctor's Watch, was used by them to measure a patient's pulse. Anyone that needed such fine timing to the second in the 30's and the 40's would buy one. This included technicians and engineers. It is a very complicated movement, and the service costs are high, to that I can attest. Many brands made them, and most are not cheap today. I think the Chronograph, once affordable and widely available, made this this complication obsolete. In today's finer watch brands (and cheap Chinese models too) you can find this recreated, mechanically and in quartz.

A less complicated, and more widely found version of the Doctor's Watch, was the two dial version. A tank (sort of) that had a upper circle for the hour/minute hands, and a lower circle for the seconds. But this watch was much more difficult to time a pulse as the lower dial was so small.

Well, this is my understanding anyway. <shrug>

Me? I bought them both because the Zodiac versions are rarely seen today. Once I get #2 back I will post a picture. Funny thing is that all three are radically different in chapters, dial, and hand design.

cmoy

Butch

Well, both regulators are now done. I posted 6 more of my watches in Watch Stuff.

JDS (Ohio)

Wow, I never knew they made any regulators.
John

Nalu

That's pretty nice, I likes!

Note that just about any watch with a center seconds will be described as a 'doctor's watch' and that a regulator can mean a watch with a sole central minute hand. I tend to reserve the term doctor's watch for watches with a center seconds and pulsometer scale around the periphery of the dial.
Searching for a Zodiac Libra!

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign