News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Does the crown have to out to remove back on a vintage seawolf?

Started by cossy, May 09, 2010, 12:05:28 PM

cossy

Hi to all on the site!
As a complete novice,apprentice Zodiac nut and newbie to this site.I feel a little embarassed by asking this as a first post.
I have two vintage Zodiacs. A Geneder seawolf II professional(quartz).And an original 60/70 seawolf auto date.
The problem being,I want to take off the back on the seawolf auto to find what number the movement is?
Is there anything i need to know before i attempt this?
Only ive been advised not to unless i know what im doing(which i dont!!!)and that i might break seals and such?
Any help given would be really usefull and well received!

..pete  :-[

Ultra-Vintage

Hi Pete.  My suggestion would to not remove the back, as many early Seawolf models can be extremely difficult to get the back off of.  Additionally, if you do not have a press, you will be stuck and not able to get them back on again properly.  The caseback should only be removed by a watchmaker.  I am a watchmaker, and I sometimes run across vintage Zodiac cases that are near impossible to remove properly.

Sea Wolf

Post some pics of both watches and someone here may be able to tell you what you got inside.

Welcome to the disease  ;D
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Race-ready

Quote from: Ultra-Vintage on May 09, 2010, 04:50:42 PM
I am a watchmaker, and I sometimes run across vintage Zodiac cases that are near impossible to remove properly.

What model case opener are you using? You aren't opening them with a case knife are you?

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Race-ready on May 11, 2010, 02:29:23 PM
Quote from: Ultra-Vintage on May 09, 2010, 04:50:42 PM
I am a watchmaker, and I sometimes run across vintage Zodiac cases that are near impossible to remove properly.

What model case opener are you using? You aren't opening them with a case knife are you?

No, most caseknives are way too thick and do not have a fine enough point to open the early Seawolf cases.  I use a trade secret to get them open, but they are definitely more difficult than your average vintage watch to open.  I have had quite a few customers bring me vintage Zodiacs where someone has butchered the caseback trying to remove it when they do not know what they are doing.  They forget that the goal is not only to remove the caseback, but also leave no evidence of having done so lol

Race-ready

<snipped for brevity>

I use a trade secret to get them open, but they are definitely more difficult than your average vintage watch to open. 

Interesting. Trade secret? I've been in horology for over 25 years and never heard that as an answer to a question concerning "what model of X-Tool do you use".
My question was more along the lines of "Horotec  or Bergeon?" All my long-term clients (collector types) open up their watches to look at the best part - the movement. I purchased and "gifted" a number of case wrenches along with appropriate dies (including R series and B-M series dies) because I want my clients to have the tools/technique to open a caseback if they feel the need (and EVERY collector does eventually).
I also don't want them to screw up the case to that prized watch.
As this is a collectors forum I just thought a free trade of information and tips would be good.

Anyhow...

Butch

Oh, I can respect him not wanting to share something that effect his livelihood. Or even something that he thinks other may not be able to do well without damaging the watch or themselves. Trust me, I do not always share what I know.

A watchmaker once showed me the easiest way to open a SW or GMT. Get a piece of soft wood and drill a hole in it just smaller than the crown. Now insert the watch and crown into this hole so that it holds the watch upright. (At this point I should say that this works if the back was put on correctly last time.) Now looking closely at the up (9:00) side you will see the portion of the back with a VERY SLIGHT cut out. I then take a one sided razor blade from a Stanley Utility Knife blade (NOT the Stanley Scraper blade either! The thick blade.) and insert it into the cut out and use a 1 oz. ball peen hammer to drive the razor into the cut out forcing the back off.

Now, once you put a new gasket in the back you may need a case closer to get the back on again. I used to to pop them back on with my fingers but do not any longer since the day I fractured a crystal putting a back on with just my fingers and thumb.

Now, these instructions are for anyone smart enough to not cut their frikkin hand off. If you get hurt doing this, please say that Sea Wolf told you how to do this in this forum.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Sea Wolf

webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

JDS (Ohio)

Cossy,
I never have opened my own watches, mostly because of lack of experience and tools.  The watchmaker I go to locally has serviced both my 60s Sea Wolves with no problems; in fact I just got them both out of the watch box to double check - no visible damage or distortion to either caseback joint.  So my advice is to take it to a local guy you have faith in and let him open it up and check the number. You might want to make sure you have correct replacement gaskets at hand if the old ones get damaged in the process, or just need to be replaced due to age, before closing it back up.  If you don't already have a relationship with a local watch guy, I would look for someone who is certified as a master watchmaker.  And definitely steer clear of mall kiosks or jewelry salesmen who just think they know what they are doing because they've opened up Timexes, or other "disposable" watches.

Just my $0.02.
John

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign