News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

To plate, or not to plate? That is my question.

Started by reydelaplaya, July 04, 2010, 03:09:31 PM

reydelaplaya

Hi all, got a quick question for the forum. I have an Olympos with the mystery dial, and I'm trying to decide whether I should have it replated. I've posted a pic of it in its original box before in another topic, and will upload a photo again when I get to my computer. I'm not sure what the protocol is on having vintage watches replated, but it would definitely be a candidate. It has its original JB signed bracelet and both the watch and bracelet show 40-some years worth of plate loss. I was thinking of sending it off to BWG to see if he could replate the whole thing, but I don't know if that is considered taboo. Does that ruin its authenticity? Or are you further preserving a vintage timepiece for posterity?

Your input please.

Ultra-Vintage

Having it replated generally does not affect its value from what I have seen as long as it looks nice, however, it is often hard to replate it and have it come out looking decent.  I fix gold filled watches all of the time with the laser welder and when done properly they can be made to look like new and noone would ever know that it had wear through.  Gold plate can be a different story though.  If the case is mildly to slightly worn it may work out, if it is severely worn then sometimes the base metal may not take the plate properly and it will look like crap.  This is especially true if it is so worn that it has started to pit.  You will probably just have to show it to someone that knows what they are doing and they can determine whether or not it is a good candidate.

Butch

Replating is very labor intensive and time consuming, ergo expensive. There is a lot of prep work that needs to be done before it goes off to the plater. BWG can do that, but it costs. He has done stuff for me in the past and it came out great, but I paid for it.

As for the band... chuck it and start looking for another. Replating a band is unheard of, though possible I guess, just to laborious.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

reydelaplaya

I appreciate the input guys. I figured that a replate would be a bit of $ (or more like $$$) especially at BWG, but it seemed like it would be worth it for the fact that it would be rescuing that original bracelet as well. I've only seen one other Olympos with its original bracelet, and I suspect it's very hard to come by as it has a very deep curved end to fit snugly into that case, kinda why it seemed like a good idea.

So at least I now understand that replating as long as it's done well, (which I expected BWG would be able to do) doesn't adversely affect the value and authenticity of a watch. That's good info to know for when we get to a better economy.

Butch, Ultra-Vintage, thanks again for your advice.

<claps hands and cheers> "C'mon better economy! Daddy needs his first Zodiac restored!" ;)

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign