News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Jet Aeronaut?

Started by Cobber, July 23, 2010, 07:44:05 PM

Cobber

I'm always on the look out for a Jet Aeronaut to replace my dad's which is currently on loan elsewhere and came across this listing on the Bay:

The seller has had this same watch up for sale for some time now and I've been curious about it's authenticity.

Is is legit to call a 24hr Jet  an "Astrographic"? Seller seems pretty confident in their listing of this item, particularly in regards to it's mintyness. However, I've never seen a Jet with this type of hand set. Though I do like the look, I'm not considering bidding. I'm holding out for one priced a little more affordable for me and that also matches the one I already have.

Any thoughts please share.

Love the website.
Chris

TJW

Hi Cobber:  I've looked at that listing also and it's a head scratcher.  I think the seller has confused the Aeronaut/Aerospace line with the Astrographic line of Zodiacs.  I don't think the hands are original to that watch and look pretty goofy.  Jets in good condition don't come up very often on the 'bay, you may have to be patient and bid to win(within reason,something I'm no good at)when one pops up.  Good luck!    TJW

jon p

??? COBBER--welcome to the site! i looked at the listing and agree it doesnt look right! i have an original black dial version and there are a few problems here. first, i believe it is a redial,there should be a zodiac logo above ZODIAC ,my hands are thinner and straight to the point, these look like the wrong ones for this watch.there should be a signed crown.above 12 it should say aerospace jet. i believe some one has really taken some liberties with the redial and got some things wrong, really wrong. take a look at the site gallery for pics og these watches. the asking price is WAY high for what it is. these pop up on the bay a lot, that is where i got mine for a little over 200. and it is in fantastic condition,all i had to do was replace the scratched crystal, an 18. repair. good luck, you will find one.  JON

jon p

well i just went back to the gallery and now i have egg on my face!!!!! there ARE some that look like the one on ebay! we need to get butches input on this, it is becoming very confusing. i guess this old guy is getting senile.   JON

Cobber

Thanks for the replies so far.

TJW,
I agree, it is a bit of a head scratcher. The seller drops Zodiac names as though they know the brand intimately yet the listing just seems a bit off base. More than anything I was curious about the hands. Until recently I didn't even realize there was an "Aerospace " moniker for the Jet. I wonder how many listings I missed by just typing Aeronaut into the search box. So that goes to show what I know.

jon p,
I love the black dial version as well. Someday I'll have both versions in perfect order. $200 seems like a screaming deal. I've been keeping an eye out for these for sometime now and perhaps I've just been unlucky but the really nice ones seem to go for at least double that. Even when the seller is in the Phillipines or some other place way the hell out there.

I've got an interesting story regarding my Aeronaut which I'll submit when I have some time to write it up. I'm sure there are some fans of the Jet that'll get a kick out of it.

Cheers

jon p

:o    zodiac really did do some confusing things with names on these watches,especially since they were all were the same thing!! maybe butch can shed so light on the different names on the same watch,if it is an aerojet, aeronaut or aerospace.maybe they just changed the name to make a "new" model. i think the addition of or the lack of the ZODIAC logo on the dial is odd. the silver hands on the white dial make it hard for my ole eyes to see, i have seen some with black hands which makes good viewing just like the SEA WOLFS of the same time period. i think we will have some interesting discussions on this subject!!   JON

Butch

OK, here goes, and JMHO... The seller is very reputable, but pricey. That is a later model from the 70's, the one in the early 60's did not have the names on the bottom. I have NEVER seen hands on a Jet like those and none of my catalogs show a model with hands like that.

P.S.
At THAT price Cobber, I would sell you my black Jet for $100 less than his price!  <evil grin>
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign