News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Introduction and my SW

Started by reversesnobbery, August 14, 2010, 03:44:21 PM

reversesnobbery

Hello all. Recently, I was able to acquire a mid/late 60's(?) Dateadjust SW with orig bracelet. The auction ad stated that the watch was "running great", however after tracking the accuracy over a few days, I noticed the movement was quite erratic. I brought said SW into a repair facility, had it opened up and we noticed that the case gasket had completely disintegrated as well. The movement needed a complete servicing which ran $225, with 1 year warranty.

Picking up the watch today, the gentleman reported that the watch works great now, except that I have "crown issues". Evidently the crow/pusher is an assembly that includes another gasket of some sort which also deteriorated.  :'(

It looks like I'll have to get a hold of another parts watch for that crown assembly? Is there a better way to go? Is this guy pulling the wool over my eyes?

This watch is turning into quite a restoration project, but we'll get there!  :P

Sea Wolf

Great looking SW.  Did you use Butches watch guy?  Click Watch Repair for more info.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

jon p

:o :o :o welcome to the best watch forum on the web, it is always great to have new members! i feel your pain, as i have been through the same situation with a zodiac GMT that my local watchmaker just could never get running correctly. he just did not know some of the odd quirks of a zodiac movement. our forum watch repair guy is the zodiac guru and he told me what the problem was by email without even seeing the watch!! i am not sure what crown issues are, but there is a special gasket on this watch that is hard to replace. i have two SWs at our watch guy now for complete overhaul/restoration, a black and a white dial,like yours with date. it IS common for the gasket to melt over time, most have not seen a service in 30+ years!! you have a fine example there and the original bracelet is a plus, probably adds 200. to the value as they are rare. look under repairs and contact butch to get in contact with the watch repairman. he is in calif. and he does fantastic work with great attention to detail.  JON

reversesnobbery

Is replacing the crown gasket part of your overhauls? Have you had them replaced before and is it something where they can fix the assembly without having to locate a whole new crown assembly?  ::)

jon p

part of the overhaul schedule on my SWs is "replace case back gasket and crown gasket with silicone lubricant". email butches watch guy with questions you have, he is great to answer. this does not have anything to do with the watch not running right after a cleaning/adjustment, sounds like the drive wheel may be defective,part of what was wrong with both of mine. it slips and the hands dont move correctly. on my white dial SW only the second hand would run, hour/ min hands wouldnt move at all. get with our watch guy for help.  JON

reversesnobbery

Will do and thanks for the infos. My watch seems to run fine now and is clean as a whistle. Not sure if I want to sink more bux into the watch on this crown gasket deal, but it would be nice not to have to take it off when washing hands or dishes.

Butch

Main Entry: col·lect·ible
Function: adjective
Date: 1660
1 : suitable for being collected
2 : valuable

;)

Please read this before wearing it any longer or it won't be worth very much.
http://www.vintagezodiacs.com/watchrepair.php
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Yankees76

Quote from: reversesnobbery on August 16, 2010, 07:14:05 PM
Will do and thanks for the infos. My watch seems to run fine now and is clean as a whistle. Not sure if I want to sink more bux into the watch on this crown gasket deal, but it would be nice not to have to take it off when washing hands or dishes.

It's a 40+ year old watch - a little extra care like taking it off when doing dishes and preventing it from getting wet is the right thing to do. It's not a daily wearer!

Nice watch though  :)

jon p

bravo yankee ! i agree 100%, not a daily wearer, i use my modern seiko divers if i want to do anything WET!! when my 2 sea wolfs get back from BWG they WILL be treated with care  and respect they deserve, only worn for "BLING" and bragging rights. these old SWs were divers watches when new--i swam in mine a lot-- but NOT any more.  JON

reversesnobbery

Good Points. That watch keeps such unbelievably accurate time (for an auto) now (+3 sec/24 hours) I'd like to make it a daily wearer, but until i find the right crown assembly it's gonna be treated with respect.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign