News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Does this dial look a little too new?

Started by Sea Wolf, September 02, 2010, 03:05:48 PM

Sea Wolf

130427530311   :-\

It says refinished dial.  I missed that first looking at it.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

Butch

Ass soon as the picture came into focus the fonts screamed redial.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

not a bad redial,BUT it is a redial and the price is WAY too steep. i dont like any plated case, if it aint solid gold i would rather have all stainless steel. i agree about the font, butch, not original style.  JON P

bulldog1935

Certainly refinished, but that is a jewel of a watch. 
Sitting around in jeweler's case for 60+ years, the varnish in the original paint would break down to wax and acetic acid and corrode the finish.  Some of the vapors would condense inside the crystal, fogging it. 
(same thing is going to happen wearing it, but the damage is compounded by skin salts and oils, exposure to weather and the many mechanical scratches that go with wearing it - where you would see the evidence of wearing is pitting of the case around the edges of the back. 
I researched these a bit over the past year, and his price is better than most watchmakers trying to turn a refinished moonphase of any brand. 
Though I will admit I would rather have the watch that Butch shows in the gallery than any other moonphase I've seen... 

The question of repair vs. restoration and representation comes up in all areas of collecting. 
Here is a little discussion over generalities and ethics, from both sides of the pond, specifically regarding $2000, 100-yr-old fly reels, but there is enough overlap in the questions that you might find it interesting discussion: 
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/37897

what I hate to see is a watch that has been poorly restored and the numbers look like they were painted by a 6-y-o. 
   Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

Ultra-Vintage

Personally I think that dial looks horrible, they didn't even attempt to match the original font at all.
I would always rather have a slightly flawed or darkened patina original dial than ruin the watch with a bad 3rd grade art project like that dial.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign