News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

My latest acquisition and still alive to talk about it...

Started by Butch, September 29, 2010, 03:28:44 PM

Butch

Only because SHE has not found out yet!

This SSW model is from the 1990's when they had both the orange and yellow models. This is the rarer 506.54.43 model in yellow, which is easier to see underwater, especially at lower colder depths. (Scientifically speaking, but not as cool looking as the orange.) All I was able to get was the watch and band though, but the good news it that it really looks unworn.

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Yankees76

Nice find! Looks to be in great shape - I've never seen the yellow dial version before.

(BTW, let me be the first to offer my services of keeping it at my place or better yet, on my wrist, for safekeeping if you need to keep this a secret from you-know-who ;D)

Butch

Ahh, you know there are no secrets, just the length of time that varies before they find out. I am gonna have to sell something to pay for this and if lucky, I will get the cash back in the account before she sees the first transaction. That will soften the sting. See? I am such a kind hearted and caring husband.

Now, what can I sell.... Hmmmm.

jon p

:o man, that IS BEAUTIFUL!! what a find in that unworn  condition. where did you find it? you are ONE lucky guy, i am proud for you. are all the original links in the bracelet? i guess BWG will be servicing it soon.

Butch

Thanks Jon! I got it on eBay with a BIN. I found it about 6 hours after he listed it in the middle of the night and the price was too good to let it go by. Some links are missing but I got lucky in that I still had to move it in 2 holes on the clasp. Could have been worse. Yeah, it is taking a plane ride soon as it runs about 6 min. slow after about 21 hours of timing. But who knows how old it is (this model was introduced in 1990 I think) or if it was ever serviced since leaving the factory (I have not opened it). The good news is that it does not need ANY clean up or polishing, just a service.

I feel like a new father, here is another pic.

jon p

BWG can get the timing down to about +/- 5 sec a day, he told me that was factory specs for both my SWs. man, i am jealous, that is probably a once in a lifetime find, most i have seen for sale were really ragged out. the last one had the badly faded dial and sold for 412.00. i am proud for you !  JON

Sea Wolf

Butch, great watch and the rare model to boot. 8)

Can I play?  I have the .44 model.

Panasonic DMC-LX5 shots:

Forgot to set the time to 10:10, don't slam me Butch  :D
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

jon p

SEA WOLF--man ,that looks good! now i have seen the orange and yellow models. yours looks as pristine as butchs. it is a sharp looking model and i love big watches.

Sea Wolf

Thanks, I bought mine NOS with the case and all the goodies back in the booming dotcom days.
It has the rubber band too and I put that on during summer.
It came with the band shown not on the watch.
I think this was the Genender version?  I like the older version band like the one on Butch's watch and on mine now.
The Genender band just does not fit me right, even after adjusting links and clasp.

ETA:  photo of inside the case.  My Zodiac parts case now with some other stuff thrown in.  I really need to organize this.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Butch

I do think the orange is cooler looking that the yellow.

Nalu

Congrats Butch!

I was very lucky to find this one with B&P and even the hangtag on ePrey a few years ago:

For even longer I've owned this later version (which I call fluorescent red, but I can see where some folks would call it orange), which has some bezel lume issues:

I actually prefer the later version. The fluorescent red accents are unique and the funky double-domed bracelet reminds me of seashells and echoes the bezel nicely. It was a nice stylish touch from a classic, tool dive watch company.
Searching for a Zodiac Libra!

Sea Wolf

Nalu, you take great photos. 

What camera are you using?
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Ultra-Vintage

I really like the yellow, I was not aware that they had it in yellow as I had always seen the orange.  The yellow makes it unique as well, alot fewer dive watches out there with yellow in comparison to orange.

Nalu

Thanks, I've worked hard at it  ;D

I used a variety of digicams before 2009, with the best results coming from Oly 5050, Oly 7070 and a Fuji S-9000. They are very good macro digicams. Since 2009 I've used a Nikon D90 with either a Nikon 18-200 VR zoom or a Tamron 60/f2 macro lens. The Tamron is a super lens for watch photography.
Searching for a Zodiac Libra!

zaniac

I always thought the earlier Super Sea Wolf from the earlier 90's Monnier time, like Butch's fine purchase, all had the yellow dial color like Butch's. And then when Genender purchased Zodiac, they went with the red marker dial and changed from the earlier president style band to the more rivet style band like the one Seawolf has pictured beside his. I've never seen the early 90's style anything but the style Butch has pictured and when it was different, it was always the late 90's Genender style.
Any thoughts?
Chris

Butch

The 90's had two models, orange and yellow, with that cheaper band. Genender had the orange only with a much better quality band.

1990's models:
506.54.43   Yellow
506.54.44   Orange

Butch

Well, I decided to sell it and put it on eBay this week. Why; you didn't ask? This is probably the 5th or 6th SSW I have owned in the past 15 years, new and old models. I get the itch, and I buy one. Then, within 2 days remember why I don't own one and wind up selling it. They are so big and heavy they just beat the hell out of my pisiform. Yeah, I had to look that one up. It is the round protruding bone on the outside of my skinny little girlie wrists.

I really wish I had manly wrists like Sea Wolf. <batting eyes>

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign