News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

A Red Glorious..or is it a Glorious Red

Started by zaniac, October 28, 2010, 10:05:21 AM

zaniac

I gotta say, that one is ugly. Imagine if the broken band was original to the watch :o
At 1 1/4 inches, I'm not convinced this is a man's watch.
Chris

Butch

Yeah it is, that is 32 MM, not uncommon in the 50's for a man's watch. I am not sure about the color though, I have never seen one in red before, would like to hold it and determine if it is redialed or simply faded from another color.

And, uh, um, er, I had the first bid on that one.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

zanic -- i agree brother, a tad bit too strange for my taste! i especially love the green crud on the band.

Butch

Coca-Cola gets rid of the green crud, no worries. It will not make the rest of the band appear though.

zaniac

Butch, you bid on that watch? Just to see if it's a real red Glorious or...you secretly like it ;)
I do like the other Glorious watches I've seen, but that red and small 32mm is too much for me. I'd be afraid I'd start talking in a higher pitch the second I'd put it on ;D
Jon, I agree, the green crud is a nice touch. Maybe this was someone's favorite fishing watch!
Chris

Butch

I did, I did! Dunno if I will buy it, but want that option. I actually own watches I do not wear. I also have the black Autographic in My Watches, the one in the yellow case. take a look. That one is 32 MM too. So are the old Hermetics you see there. There there are the Tanks. I have one of those.

It seems that when the world was wearing and making tanks that Zodiac offered watches in the same size, only round. I am not a big fan of wearing them though.

Now, when I wear the black and white Glorious you will also find there, the one with the black leather inserts in the band, my so refuses to be seen with me in public...

zaniac

Yeah, I think the smallest Zodiac I've worn was 34mm. But what's another 2mm down..
Funny, when I mentioned about liking other Glorious watches, I immediately thought of that black and white one with that very unique black band with inserts. I didn't know you owned that one :o 32mm, son liking it or not or whatever, I would gladly wear that one to any formal event. That watch is plain awesome!! Think the original owner requested that band originally or did you put that one on later?
Chris

Butch

I think so as it is a Kreisler which is what they used in the 50's. That Glorious is 34 MM, the AutoG is the 32 MM I spoke of.

See that Hermetic with the orange minute chapter? That is from the 40's, had a 5 digit serial number (from my lowest serial number collection) and is actually 29.9 MM! I have never worn it, even after the restoration. I would if it were bigger. It is build like a brick house and runs for like 45 hours on a single winding.

jon p

;D wow--another use for coca cola-i use it to de-crud bsttery terminals on my car. i use diet so it isnt sticky to attract dirt.

zaniac

Wow, as if that Autographic wasn't handsome enough, that band really brings it alive! I think a stunning band can really make the watch. Imagine if the Autographic just had a plain, black leather band. It would still look great thanks to the dial and case, but that band really makes it pop!
Though that 40's Hermetic is small, it just looks tough. I can't believe that lume in the hands is still present. Especially that minute hand :o That is long and no vein to help hold it in.
What about that 1921 Jump Hour you have pictured. That band looks really skinny. I bet that has a really low serial #.
Thanks for sharing the close up photos. These are the Zodiacs you rarely see, even on ebay.
Chris

Butch

The jump hour actually has no serial number! We dated it though the movement. This is also the ONLY 7j movement I have ever seen by Zodiac. And the only jump hour come to think of it. Of course, the band is not original, just a reproduction period piece.   :)

Yankees76

HAHA - I saw this watch this morning and was thinking of bidding on it - it's a project to be sure.

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign