News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

My SSW on its way back from BWG

Started by dbluefish, November 24, 2010, 03:31:32 PM

dbluefish

Just wanted to share a bit what BWG told me about the watch and see if there are any comments.

I had been having a little problem when manually winding this watch as it would wind normally but after a few turns, a slight pressure outwards on the stem, was needed to keep the winding mechanism in gear.  I received an email from BWG that there was nothing he could find and that this sometimes occurred in this movement(2824-2)  I had a Zodiac Calame(since sold ), and it had the same issue with the same basic 2824-2 movement.  He told me Zodiac did this to prevent stripping the winding mechanism(?).  Well he is the expert so I considered this to be correct info and when i sold the watch I explained this idiosyncrasy(?) to the new owner.

Well I have many watches with the 2824-2 movement and except for the O7 LM3, none exhibit this trait.  So first question is, have any of you experienced this trait?  Then he pressure tested the watch to 3ATM which is less than 100 ft.  I won't be taking it in the water anyway but the watch was built for 1000 ft WR, I believe, so now I am concerned as to whether or not I should find another place for real pressure testing?  There is NO such thing as too much WR, lol.

So watch is on the way all checked and lubed and except for these questions i plan on being a happy camper.

Thanks for your thoughts

paul

Butch

I would think that not many places could test it to that level except for "the factory". Personally, you have doe way more than I ever would have, or even have, come to think of it. Pretty much my philosophy is that when it gets wet outside, I put my watch into an inside pocket.

But that is just me.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

dbluefish

Well I usually agree with the philosophy where if "it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

But since I had no idea when this was serviced, had it done even though it ran well within COSC standards.

For me I might remember to put it in my pocket or take it off for a shower or jump in the pool but i might not and like the extra protection.  But this is a vintage watch so I guess i can be more careful with it. 

But in any case it arrived today and runs as well as it did before but it has been serviced.

Now as to my firsrt question on the manual winding issue?  No issue or what?

Thanks and it is good to have it back.  Just have to figure out what bracelet/strap to put on it.

paul

Ultra-Vintage

I am the same way as Butch.  I do not get any of my watches wet, no matter what kind of watch it is, no matter the situation.  Even though I know it would be fine, I just dont do it. 

As for your crown problem, to me that sounds like the same issue that others have had with the screw-down crowns on the 90's Zodiacs.  I have a Zodiac Redpoint chrono with the 7750 movement and screw-down crown that has the problem.  I have been on the lookout for a new crown, but no luck so far.  When trying to wind the watch normally, it will wind a few times but then start to slip as the pressure builds due to the failure of the internal "kickout" spring inside the crown to keep it out in a fixed position.  However, if I wind it while slightly applying pressure away from the watch (almost like a pulling while winding motion, essentially keeping the crown sprung out, but not enough to pull it into the fast set date or hands setting position) it will wind perfectly without slipping.  Replacing the crown would be the only way to correct it.

dbluefish

Well Ultra and Butch, for vintage pieces that is fair advice but for more modern watches, it makes no sense for me.  Why get a watch that can "take it" and then have to baby it?  All my motorcycles have had abilities way beyond mine, but I still "exercised" them periodically.  Might things break or develop a problem?  Sure but then that is part of the pleasure for me.  I see my watches the same way.  Take reasonable care within their limits but enjoy then for what they are.  Hell I could just go out and by any good looking watch I want whether or not it has reasonable WR, hacks, has quick set date, sapphire crystal, screw down crown , lume etc but I like those aspects and if a watch has them, I use them.

To each their own, I suppose.

In peace.

paul

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign