News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Finally a Member of the Club!

Started by danomar, December 01, 2010, 08:15:47 PM

danomar

Hello-

My name is Daniel and I collect watches. Duh.  ;) I have been hankering after a Zodiac chronograph for a long time. I've been trying to snag one of the Heuer-alike versions (I am partial to the Cal.11-12-15 family as well as Lemania 1340 and 5100 movements) but seem to always either miss opportunities or lost on eBay bidding wars. It has been very frustrating for a long time.

Until now.

I am incredibly pleased to have gotten not only a Cal. 12 Zodiac, but also one of the few original (non Heuer-style) Zodiac designs! I think it is a fantastic watch in many ways. I am especially pleased that it comes in the same style of case that houses two of my other favorites:

Yes, they house Valjoux 7750's, but everything else about them is IMO uber-cool.

I do have a question: Does anyone have photos of the 22mm bracelet that originally came with this piece? I would very much appreciate views of the clasp as well to help guide my search. If there is a manufacturer name, that will be very useful.

I got lucky in that I was wearing my Omega 176.007 Seamaster today when the Zodiac arrived. The Omega bracelet is also 22mm. The more I look at it, the more I think it looks pretty good with the Zodiac, but it would be great if I could find the correct item for my watch.

One more question: The crystal has many fine scratches (possibly cracks) and probably will need to be replaced. I do not think buffing will be enough. I already tried polishing and made very little progress with the deeper scratches. Does anyone by chance know of a source for the correct crystal? I can take it to a watch repairer, yes, but it would be nice to cut out one step of the process.

That's all for my first post. No longer a lurker: Now an owner!

Butch

Just a guess as I have never bought on of those. It is from the mid 70's and this band was used back then in the US. It was made by JB Champion and had a signed Zodiac clasp.

Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Sea Wolf

Welcome to the club!  Great looking watch.  Check out "Watch Repair" in the navigation bar for more info on restoring that
to it's full glory.  I recall seeing a photo of the brochure for this watch in the forums here somewhere.  Maybe do a search on
show me your chrono or just chrono.  The photo showed your watch with the band on it.

I do like that model and maybe someday will purchase one on the bay, they do come up now and again.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

danomar

Thanks for the advice!

The watch is already at my repairer. It needs a new crystal. The case is in good enough condition to live with for a while, and the movement appears to be in excellent condition. It looks as though there is oil in the visible jewels and the functions all operate smoothly like a good Cal. 12 should. I have a few others, so I know.

I searched through the gallery already and did not see this chronograph. I'll try searching through posts.

One thing that is not obvious about this case: It is scalloped underneath so it wears VERY comfortably. I have a narrow wrist, and even the crown-forward versions are very nice on the wrist. It is not a big watch by most standards, but it also is not small. I really like the balance of presence and comfort.
d

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign