News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Hi all first post here

Started by Socalwis, March 18, 2011, 06:55:19 PM

Socalwis

Hi all,

My name is Rodrigo and I'm a diver watch nut  and a part time strap maker  ;D. looking to purchase my first vintage Zodiac SSW. Can any one here can tell if these two Zodiacs looks legit? It's an as is condition, no return nor exchange. SO I'm really careful about this

Sellers Picture

Thanks all
Rodrigo

Sea Wolf

They both looked modified.  The left one the bezel looks to be redo or non original.
The right watch looks to be in non original case.

Others will be along with more detail.

Welcome aboard!
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

dawej

I am pretty sure the hands on the left one is non-original. Usually the hour hand is red/orange-ish with cream-white in it, while the hour and second hand is stainless steel with the same cream-white details in it. I have never seen one all three hands in the same color. Never seen that bezel either.

And as SW said the case on the right one looks not legit either. Big warning bells when both looks modified.

But, its not a crime selling modified watches, especially not when it states "as is".  ;D

If the price is right, you could snap the left one and keep your eyes open for any "used parts lot" including original hands and possibly a bezel.

Butch

The hands and the bezel are incorrect for the SSW on the left. As for the SW on the right, it looks like the guys, dial, hands, maybe movement, of an older SW was stuck in a later case and bezel.

I would pass, unless you really like them. They have no resale value to a collector.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

Socalwis

Thanks guys much appreciated!  :)

I will pass and keep on hunting

JDS (Ohio)

Quote from: dawej on March 18, 2011, 08:54:10 PM
.... I have never seen one all three hands in the same color. Never seen that bezel either.

........If the price is right, you could snap the left one and keep your eyes open for any "used parts lot" including original hands and possibly a bezel.

I think that bezel came from a Gruen, there was a model approximately contemporary with the Zodiac version, that came in the same case as the 1st generation SSW, but it had an orange dial and bezel insert, and stick hands if I recall correctly.

That is a good point about buying the one on the left if the price is right, and then looking for correct replacements for the altered parts.  I suspect that the crystal is about equally difficult as the bakelite bezel insert to find a replacement; the crystsal had that minutes track decal on the inside, so you can't just buy a flat ground piece of mineral glass.  :(
John

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign