News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

Chocolate Dial SW?

Started by ChrisG, September 14, 2009, 01:07:29 PM

ChrisG

Speaking of dial colors, there is an auction right now for a vintage S.W. with a BROWN color dial. ??? :o Has anybody heard of such a thing?

Butch

Every once is a while somebody tries to pass off a ruined Black Dial as a "chocolate dial". There was no such animal. Zodiac only made White and Black in the metal and enamel bezel watches in the 60's and 70s. In the later SW watches there were blue dials. You will also occasionally see a black dial with tiny circles or bubbles in it. That is another ruined black dial that they try to pass of a special, rare, or unique.

Funny, this sort of question is why I started the new Board today. This and the "left hand wind" Autographic that is up for sale (again) this week.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

ChrisG

Thought you would get a kick out of this Butch. :P ;D

davec73

that's a spillover from the wacky world of Rolex collecting, some of the early Rollie dials would age to a brownish tone, which is desirable in some Rolex circles. 

There was a similar auction a few months back with a so called orange dial Seawolf which was actually rust (!)

Butch

Musta been the one I bought. <heavy sigh>
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

;D ;D ;D     my all time favorite was the white dial SW that was rusty and sold as a  "tropic patina" dial!! i would have loved to see the movement which the seller didnt show-wonder why?  i looked at the brown dial on ebay--nasty! isnt the wacky world of zodiac a pure blast!  JON

JDS (Ohio)

Chocolate dials - not just Zodiac, I've seen that term applied to Speedmasters more than anything else.  However, in the case of the Speedmasters, it's usually used with full realization on everyone's part that it is a black dial that has aged to brown, so it's not so bad there.

I saw once a Sea Wolf listed as near mint, but the caseback picture showed it was pitted so bad that it looked like stainless steel leprosy.  Yeah, I got a car to sell too, only driven by my aged grandmother to church, every other Sunday. ;D
John

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign