News:

Most photos can not be viewed without registering for a free membership.

Main Menu
Be an informed Zodiac Collector. Check out the Vintage Zodiac Catalogs Website

GMT on the `bay

Started by TJW, March 24, 2010, 06:13:43 PM

TJW

Take a look at #110511158753...the price is high, I know, but what about the dial?  I haven't seen that configuration before; also the solid red 24 hr hand...is that correct?  It's been polished to within an inch of its life but otherwise it looks good.  Thoughts?

Sea Wolf

High price, no original band.

I have seen that dial on a black face GMT.  24 hr red hand looks correct to me, Butch will know for sure.
webmaster
VintageZodiacs.com

Contact me for any technical issues related to the website.

TJW

Thanks Sea Wolf, why can't they price these things for us workin' stiffs?

Butch

The price aside, yest, this was a later model GMT and is actually in great shape. You can check this out on the GMT page in the Gallery.

On pricing, yeah, these estate and yard sale rats seem to think that everything they have now a days is worth a fortune. They find something, do a search on eBay for the sales in the last 30 days, and price it. Just because a 30 year old, rarely worn GMT (SW, AstroG, Chrono, etc.), with band, boxes, and paperwork sold last month on eBay for $650 does not make their never serviced, polished smooth, no original band or boxes, waterlogged Zodiac worth $495. Another thing they used to do was price their watches against my prices, which were for fully restored warranted pieces.

I miss the "old days" when people would put them up on eBay for $9.99 and let'er rip. But I guess we have eBay to blame for that with all their additional fees over the past few years, and making these people feel like they are "businessmen" and not selling stuff in a real auction any longer.

<pushing soap box back under the band stand now>
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

BUTCH-----AMEN BROTHER ! h came first--the metal bezel or the plastic one?? i have a metal one on my GMT--  i thought it was an older model. mine has skinny hands with a red arrow point gmt hand with lume in the tip. this one on ebay looks good, hands are a little different than usual, the gmt hand is thinner than some. looks good but not at that price for sure! 

Butch

Jon, yours is from the early 60's. They changed the hands in the late 60's to include the flat red hand. The metal bezel came first, enamel later, both were offered together for over 5 years.
Collecting Zodiacs is not for the meek; be an educated collector.
Click below to see our subscription service and support the web sites.

jon p

8) thanks butch, appreciate the info on my gmt s age. it is like a new one after our favorite watch guy went over it!   JON

Ultra-Vintage

Quote from: Butch on March 25, 2010, 08:37:55 AM
On pricing, yeah, these estate and yard sale rats seem to think that everything they have now a days is worth a fortune. They find something, do a search on eBay for the sales in the last 30 days, and price it. Just because a 30 year old, rarely worn GMT (SW, AstroG, Chrono, etc.), with band, boxes, and paperwork sold last month on eBay for $650 does not make their never serviced, polished smooth, no original band or boxes, waterlogged Zodiac worth $495. Another thing they used to do was price their watches against my prices, which were for fully restored warranted pieces.

I miss the "old days" when people would put them up on eBay for $9.99 and let'er rip. But I guess we have eBay to blame for that with all their additional fees over the past few years, and making these people feel like they are "businessmen" and not selling stuff in a real auction any longer.

<pushing soap box back under the band stand now>

So true.  It is unreal what sellers think their watches are worth these days.  They look their watch up in a price guide, or see an inflated auction on Ebay and think their watch is worth a mint.  When in reality, Ebay is nowhere near a good measuring stick considering that watches sell for way more than they are worth on there constantly (and the person that paid to much for the watch will then get to pay even more to get it into proper working condition).  As for the "I saw it as being worth this much in so and so's priceguide" justification, I always try to explain to them that priceguides have very little to no relevance when it comes to value, they are mainly helpful in identification.

The sellers/dealers are to blame for trying to overinflate the watch prices to make a killing, and the buyers/collectors are equally at fault for being dumb enough to pay those prices.....

jon p

;D ULTRA--you said it ALL pardner!! when i decide to bid on a watch i set a max price including having it serviced/repaired later. i have seen some really crazy prices lately-a lot more than the watch was worth. i dont believe a lot of buyers know what it costs to have them worked on! until people stop paying these out of sight prices it will not change, and things wont change for us serious collectors!! NUF SAID!

Copyright • 2022, All Rights Reserved. This site may not be reproduced.
By accessing this web site you agree to not take any images for use on any other web sites.

• Advertising Information • | • Privacy Policy • | • About Us

Visit the Zodiac manufacture's web site at www.zodiacwatches.com for all your post-1990 Zodiac needs.
This web site is not affiliated with Fossil, Inc, current Zodiac brand owners

Website by Face Forward Studios

Clebar Watches
Zodiac Sign